wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukeman9988

Reaction score
So I won a coupon for a free wyeast coupon the other month, it was about to expire the end of the year so I quick ran out to grab a yeast to make a pilsner. The only lager yeast they had was the Bavarian lager. Any experiences with this yeast? I want to make a pilsner but don't know how it will turn out with this yeast. If I'm advised against it what should I brew up with this yeast? Ps I already have a 1.5L started stepped up to a 4L ready for this weekend.

I love that yeast! Reliable fermenter and almost never throws diacetyl. It really shines in malty styles, but I've also made many great German pils with it.

Alright cool, thanks for the input everyone. Looks like I will be brewing up a pils this weekend.

So I won a coupon for a free wyeast coupon the other month, it was about to expire the end of the year so I quick ran out to grab a yeast to make a pilsner. The only lager yeast they had was the Bavarian lager. Any experiences with this yeast? I want to make a pilsner but don't know how it will turn out with this yeast. If I'm advised against it what should I brew up with this yeast? Ps I already have a 1.5L started stepped up to a 4L ready for this weekend.

Can anyone tell me if they've had success fermenting with Wyeast 2206 Bavarian in the 59deg range? My brew closet is currently 59deg and I'm contemplating brewing with this yeast. I've read 58deg is its limit but this thread gives such high praise to this yeast I'm wondering if I could get positive results at 59deg ...Thanks.

Can anyone tell me if they've had success fermenting with Wyeast 2206 Bavarian in the 59deg range? My brew closet is currently 59deg and I'm contemplating brewing with this yeast. I've read 58deg is its limit but this thread gives such high praise to this yeast I'm wondering if I could get positive results at 59deg ...Thanks.

I'm on the third generation of this yeast and it's still going strong. Very clean, flocc's nicely. I ferment my lagers at 50 for 5 days then raise 2 degrees a day until i hit 60 for the diacetyl rest. I then secondary and drop the temp again at 2 deg/day until I reach 40 for lagering.

Back