Question about White labs yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbankert

Reaction score
I pulled out my vial of white labs yeast this afternoon to warm up a little. When I looked at it a little while ago, it looked very different than other white labs yeast i've used. It looks very chunky/clumpy in the bottle, and when i shake it to mix it, it stays in clumps, and looks very separated.
Not sure if the yeast maybe went bad or something, or maybe this is normal sometimes...
don't really want to start brewing if the yeast isn't good, but i also don't want to open the yeast to see if it's ok first either.

Any suggestions?

I wouldn't worry about it.... have some spair just in case, but some of mine was that way too.

Highly focculant yeasts can be really clumpy. Shake in up hard before pitching. I've had a couple that the trub looked and acted like taffy.

I just used WLP-007 Dry English Ale and it was the same. Very chunky. It's going at about 3 bubbles per second on the airlock, so I say it's just fine.

Back