foaming hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonp9576

Reaction score
so i tapped my first hefeweizen last week.

every time i tapped a new beer, its been real foamy, but after a few days it would settle down.

i've been lowering and raising the pressure to try to solve the problem, but it just wont settle. i am using the same lines that i had my last 4 brews through with no foaming problems.

the only difference with this brew is that when i kegged it, i used the full amount of priming sugar, because i was bottling some as well. could this be my problem? any other ideas?

what if i were to take it out of the fridge to warm it up to about the 65 degrees my basement is right now. i could bleed the pressure out and take some of the co2 out of solution, or possibly, just give it a shake, and bleed the pressure?

What is your serving pressure, and the size and length of your lines?

I set mine at 12 psi and I use 10 feet of 3/16" line. That helps the foaming issue.

If it's overcarbed, you don't have to warm it up, just keep releasing the pressure until it's right.

Hefeweizen is good a little warm! Did you let it finish natural carbing before you tapped it? It could very well be it is STILL carbing, so you have too much pressure for serving. I say shut off CO2 and keep bleeding it. If it stops producing CO2, force carb it.

ok, i'll give it more time, and bleed if for another week, if that doesnt work, i'll try longer lines

Back