Glass carboy and hot must

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barkingshins

Reaction score
I have 5 gallons of raw cider that I have heated to 160ºF to pasteurize it. It is now down to ~150ºF and, if possible, I would like to rack it to a glass carboy and let it come down to room temperature on its own before pitching. My only concern is whether or not racking 150º cider to a glass carboy will stress the glass to the point of cracking or breaking.

Has anyone done this before and do you think it is relatively safe? I know that dumping near-boiling temps into a carboy is a definite no-no but I have no idea what is considered safe and what isn't. Thanks.

I would say...no. Nothing to back it up. Just dumping scalding hot water of 150 degrees into a glass container that is resting at around 70 degrees...just doesn't feel right.

if you start slowly, and make sure the hot liquid cascades down the sides evenly (vs just letting it fill from the bottom up while the top portion is still cold) you shouldnt have problems. obviously be careful, and there is always a possibility of something going bad. you might want to put the carboy in a bucket if you are doing this in your kitchen or something.

people who do the no-chill method of brewing dump the beer, post-boil, directly into a carboy when its 190+ degrees. ive done it before with no mishaps. if you just fill it from the bottom without warming the whole thing evenly, the temperature gradient is probably not a good thing.

Back