Saison du Buff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleZ

Reaction score
Has anyone had Saison du Buff and what are your thoughts? I haven't been able to find any in my area. It is a collaborative brew between Stone, Dogfish Head and Victory. It was brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. It has two more releases coming this year one scheduled in July and the other August.

Kyle

Big parsley nose, lots of sage and rosemary in the taste. The beer is fairly clean for a saison, some pepper notes, very clear, nice dark gold color. This beer would be great with food. Like a leg of lamb. I found that the taster I had was more than enough for me just trying it. I had it on tap at Stone.

Love it!!! I had it at stone the other night, and I reallllllly wanted to take a growler home, but the store was closed by the time we finished with dinner and I thought of it...

It's like drinking an herb garden. LOL :)

But honestly, along with Ballast Point's Sculpin IPA, it's got to be one of my favorites!

Looking for it around me. I do have a few bottles left of El Camino (un)Real. That's a fantastic brew.

I liked it. There are definitely the sage and rosemary notes as pointed out above. It has a very nice pepper note that I enjoyed. I had it at Stone and it went very well with their stir-fry dish.

as far as boiling the herbs go, should you take them out before you transfer your beer to the carboy, or do you need to leave them in the carboy to flavor while the beer is fermenting?

I thought it was just alright. I like a lot of other saisons better and I even enjoy herb beers, but the rosemary in particular stood out to me and not really in a good way. Adventurous brew and it's kind of fun to drink, but I probably won't buy another.

Great with clams, pizza and lamb chops.

I didn't think I liked it at first. It took a couple of quaffs, but it won me over.

lowtones84 said:
I thought it was just alright. I like a lot of other saisons better and I even enjoy herb beers, but the rosemary in particular stood out to me and not really in a good way. Adventurous brew and it's kind of fun to drink, but I probably won't buy another.

I wouldn't buy another, But I noticed a difference between the Stone release, and the Dogfish Head release, so the Victory release is intriguing.
It was hardly a Saison to me, but it was drinkable. I had the positive contact, and the cilantro was definately there, in a spicy way once it warmed up a bit, which would've been nice in the Saison. Skål fra another Upright Bass player!

lowtones84 said:

I wouldn't buy another, But I noticed a difference between the Stone release, and the Dogfish Head release, so the Victory release is intriguing.
It was hardly a Saison to me, but it was drinkable. I had the positive contact, and the cilantro was definately there, in a spicy way once it warmed up a bit, which would've been nice in the Saison. Skål fra another Upright Bass player!

from what I remember I really enjoyed it. Definitely herbal and spicy/peppery. Worth trying for sure. Whether you like will just depend on your taste.

Latest posts

Back