acid etched bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirk1609

Reaction score
Anyone use stincels to acid etch bottles? You could make basic style bottles. Your brewing name and style perm etched on the bottle. Or all the ifo from a brew you make all the time. Anyone doing this yet?

There have been some older threads with people doing DIY pint glass etching (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-pint-glass-etching-174513/). Haven't seen anyone doing it on the bottles though.

I've never tried to do any acid etching so I'm pretty clueless, but how well do you think this would show up on dark colored glass? Sometimes it can be tricky to see on a clear glass unless you hold it right, so do you think it would be visible on a bottle?

I've been looking but I haven't found any info as to whether this is safe for bottles that are being reused for homebrew: my concern being that because the bottles under pressure, and now you have slightly less glass in the etched spots, they could be more likely to crack or burst.

Does anyone know if this is safe?

Back