Moving Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMBeer

Reaction score
So I have a batch thats ready to be packaged but I'm in a tough spot. I'm in the middle of moving so I have two options. Move the beer currently in a secondary) over to the new house or keg and then move. Option one would be the easiest as all my equipment is over at the new place but I'm pretty sure thats not a good idea. If I keg, should I pressurize it (at what PSI?) and then disconnect the lines while I transport? Thanks.

BTW this is both my first batch and first kegging attempt. I plan on getting this into a keg one way or another on Sunday and need it to be somewhat carbed in a week. Is there a good way to make that happen? I know the beer might be a bit green but I will be taking this to the opening NFL tailgate on 9/11 so there is no way around it. Ive been staring at this black IPA for nearly a month now, I can't wait any longer.

I believe kegging or bottling is the safest for transporting the beer. Either are true sealed (airtight) environments which will prevent any oxygenation occurring from the beer sloshing around during transport.

Others may disagree, but I believe firmly that transporting already fermented beer in either primary or secondary has an improved risk of oxydation. Having an airlock and headspace in those vessels, sloshing could easily cause the co2 barrier to be breached, if air then gets in you are whipping oxygen into the beer.

So keg it, gas it, and move it confidently knowing that the beer will be safe from oxygenation. You don't hear about commercial breweries transporting their fermented beer in primaries or secondaries do you? No, the don't transport til the beer is in a serving container be it a keg or bottle.

Latest posts

Back