Gnarly Roots (Papazian)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warthaug

Reaction score
I've brewed a number of Papazians recipes, from his two books, and like many others here I've found them to be less-than-ideal. However, in his "Homebrewers companion" there is a recipe I've always been interested in trying, and was wondering if anyone had tried it, or come up with an updated/better version. I'm now in a position to try making this beast, but a search of HBT & the net in general didn't find any promising leads.

Its the Gnarly Roots recipe; a barley wine with a twist. The recipe is a pretty normal barley wine: ~10% alcohol, heavily hopped, etc. The twist is one week into fermentation (using a conventional ale yeast) you add additional cultures of Brettanomyces bruxellensis/lamicus, to give it bit of a lambic flavour.

I don't suppose anyone has tried a similar brew? I was planning on replacing papzians barely wine recipe with a newer/better one, while following the yeast additions as described in his book. But this raised a lot of additional questions, especially the issue of how much of the bret to add. With the ale yeast having a weeks head start, the bret will be feeding mostly off of the stuff the ale yeast cannot ferment. As such I'm not sure how much bret to add - a lot (1-2L stirred culture), a little (smack-pack, or portion of one), etc.

Like I said,, I was hoping that someone had done something similar, but even advice on issues like how to deal with the bret, or a good barely-wine recipe to use as the base, would e greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Bryan

I'm resuscitating my thread, as I'm in need of some advice.

I have decided to take the plunge, and will be brewing gnarley roots sometime in the next month or two. I'm making it almost as described in Charlie P's book, aside for some scaling and modernization. This is what I have now (subject to modification):

For 20L:
4.5kg 2-row
0.5kg Crystal 40L
3.0kg DME
65g Warrior hops (90min)
45g Willamette (30min)
45g Cascade (flame out)

Mash/Sparge: single-stage batch sparge; 64.4C for 75min (light body mash). Sparge with 21.5L water. Boil for 90min.

Ferment 7-10 days with Wyeast 1056, transfer to secondary & add brett
OG: 1.109
IBUs: 110
GU:BU: 1

Where I'm a little 'concerned' is in the brett. You primary with 1056, and into the secondary add Brett. In Charlie P's book he calls for a mix of Bret lambicus and bruxellensis. Based on my reading, this mix will create a strong brett character. However, White Labs sells Brett claussenii (WLP645), which is the strain of Brett found in many old English ales and barleywines - but is also much milder. So I'm wondering what I should go with.

Anyone play with these different Bretts? Which would you recommend? This is my first (deliberate) Brett beer, so I'm a bit nervous...

Bryan

Back