Blow-Off Tube Size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewrican

Reaction score
I did a quick search and found a few threads talking about this very thing but i found threads that said they use a 1.25" but mentioned that they were concerned about air getting in and then i saw one that mentioned they use a stopper and a 3/8ths " tube in it to the bucket.

I have a stopper with the hole for the air lock in it, can I safely use that with a 5 gal carboy with 5 gals of beer in it? I would imaging that regardless of the size, it would do what it is supposed to right?

Let me know if I am making a big mistake by doing it this way. I am going to brew my first batch tomorrow or this weekend.

:tank:

On my carboys a 1.25" tube fits very snugly and I have had no ill effects from using it. I don't think 3/8ths is quite big enough for large blowoffs.

I have a stopper with the hole for the air lock in it, can I safely use that with a 5 gal carboy with 5 gals of beer in it? I would imaging that regardless of the size, it would do what it is supposed to right?
:tank:

Is there anyway you can get your hands on a 6.5 gal carboy? You are going to need that head space. 3/8ths will be ok for a medium OG Ale. I do a 3/8ths for ales up to 1.06 and haven't had a problem so far.

1.25 inch OD tubing was very loose in my 6.5 and 5 gallon carboys.

Mike

i just bought the 1.25" tube so lets hope that it fits :(

If not, ill just have to get the one that does... hopefully they will take the return

If 1.25" tube is to loose just take some tape...do a couple turn on the end of the tube that goes in the carboy... easy fix. I would use electrical tape or duct tape.

I'm using a #7 stopper with a 3/8s I think tube jammed in it. Not much of a blowoff tube really, more like need 3 airlocks and only have 2.

Mike

Latest posts

Back