Coconut Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skagit991

Reaction score
I am making a coconut porter and I have added 8ounces of toasted coconut to the secondary. How long should i let it sit? I have seen some threads that say not to let it sit too long? How long is too long? The SG is about where it should be for bottling but I wanted to let it settle a bit more before I do. Suggestions?

I am making a coconut porter and I have added 8ounces of toasted coconut to the secondary. How long should i let it sit? I have seen some threads that say not to let it sit too long? How long is too long? The SG is about where it should be for bottling but I wanted to let it settle a bit more before I do. Suggestions?

I just made a coconut porter patterned after Maui Brewing's beer. I actually put 16 oz of toasted unsweetened organic Coconut in a hop bag for the last 10 minutes of the boil. I also added 8 oz. of toasted Organic coconut in the secondary. I would say the coconut flavor is a bit more pronounced than the commercial version but still somewhat subdued. The good news is that after force carbonating it it creates a decent head. I was worried because of all the coconut oils .I left the "dry hopped" coconut in the secondary for 10 days. I am not sure that it would have benefited from any more time on the coconut.

I only leave my beer in the secondary for 4 days with the coconut and rack off of the toasted coconut leaving the top layer of beer/coconut behind. Then let it sit for 10 days and bottle as usual.

i never made one, but i have had one. i was kinda sad that it didnt have very much coconut taste. it was verygood, but if they didnt specify coconut i wouldnt have known it had any in there. it was just a little toasty. try to get as much as you can out of your coconut

thanks for the tips. I added 8 ounces of cocoa powder to the wort. i have heard that some people add lactose to balance the chocolate. is that needed? where do you get it? i couldn't find it at my brew shop.

i just tasted my first beer from the coconut porter batch that i recently brewed. i put 21 oz of coconut in muslin bags and racked my secondary onto that...let it sit for about a week.

it's only been 7 days since i bottled, and the coconut is really strong -- will that fade much as time goes? i'm a little worried that this is dangerously close to "dessert beer" territory. when i first poured, there was actually some decent head and not much of a coconut odor, so it caught me off guard when i had that first taste.

it would probably age out a little. since its a porter it will probably stand up to aging for a little while. 21oz seems like maybe a bit much. but like i said i've never brewed one. you said the coconut flavor is strong. but is it good? nothing wrong with having a dessert beer. atleast you commited. i was pissed when i had a comercial coconut stout that didn't taste anything like coconut.

Back