Lappish Hag's Love Potion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nath

Reaction score
Anybody ever try making Lappish Hag's Love Potion ?
Basically it's just a simply country wine of blueberries, sugar and water; left in a glass bottle outside to be fermented by the wild yeast on the blueberries.
Most of info online isn't that helpful; no real recipes, says the fermentation is done by an enzyme, and say to leave in a sealed glass bottle to ferment(this seems to be done to get carbination).

I picked up some fresh blueberries the other day at Wal-mart and decided to give it a try, followed the basic info I found online, used only whole ripe berries, add water, and then slowly added sugar little by little until it seemed to reach saturation.
Instead of sealing the bottle and getting a bottle bomb, I deiced to use an airlock. The wild yeast from the berries, seems to be fermenting along at good pace for such a high sugar concentration.

I'm not sure how good it will end up being, wild yeast plus high sugar just screams fusel alcohols and off tastes to me, but then it's always fun to experiment with something new.

Somebody recently told me that while sugar is great at covering up flaws in fruit, such as being green, alcohol is great at accentuating flaws in fruit. I hope those berries were ripe enough.

Yeah, that was a concern I had when I made this, being store bought fruit is usually picked when not fully ripe and tends to only look really ripe when gets to the store. So I went through the berries and picked out only the ones the looked plump, ripe, and blemish free.
I don't really have that high of expectations on how this will turn out, I'm thinking more witch's brew then love potion, I guess I"ll just have to wait and see.
I'm planning to tested it out next weekend on a camping trip with friends, at the rate it's bubbling away right now it seems it should be done fermenting by then. We'll also have plenty of mead, juneberry wine, and brew to sample, so hopefully I'll be able to remember enough afterwords to give a quality review of this stuff.

Back