Made my first batch but

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTBowles

Reaction score
Made my first batch but it didn't turn out to great. I used a kit from Brooklyn brew shop it looked good and everything seem to go pretty well through the process. The flavor and aroma was good and seemed to have a pretty good abv, but it had very little carbonation and had watered down taste. I did add a little water to wort when a first put it in the jug because the instructions said to top it off. I primed with 1oz corn sugar to 1 gallon when I bottled. Any thoughts I where I might have gone wrong?

Describe the process you went through and we can likely point out a suggestion or two to improve your next batch.

B

low carbonation causes the beer to seem watered down. if you get it to fully carbonate then this will probably fix that issue. i think you did these things:

1. you didn't let it carbonate long enough. let it go for 4 weeks.
2. you didn't mix the sugar in well enough. some bottles will be flat, some will be so overcarbonated that they are ready to explode.
3. you bottle conditioned at too low a temperature, 65 degrees or lower

to fix it, try this: turn all the bottles upside down and shake them for a few seconds to "rouse the yeast". let them condition for another two weeks in 70 to 75 degree temperatures.

Back