1st batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Air Pirate

Reaction score
Ok, so i bought a Mr. Beer thing so Im not exactly high tech or anything (though i plan to upgrade in the very near future).

I added some molasses to the wort from the get go because... well just because. but other than that just followed the directions.

I just bottled them a few days ago but i cracked one today because it was getting some unsightly (over pressurized) bulges.

I tasted kind of like a bad Achel actually, much to my (pleasent, n00b) surprise. V yeasty too, a bit too much actually. And judging from my present state of :drunk: ness, a rather high ABV too.

I plan on waiting another week to open the rest (impatient i know). I do have one question though: why does my beer taste yeasty and what can be done to alleviate that?

-The Air Pirate-

How long did you let it sit in the Mr. Beer? What recipe did you use? Did you ad the booster? Did you take a OG, or Final Gravity reading? Did you use sugar to carb the bottles? Are you drinking from the bottle, or glass? If by glass are you pouring the whole thing in, or leaving a little bit in the bottom of the bottle? There will be dead yeast(white stuff) in the bottom of the bottle, if you pour carefully and leave that in, you might not taste the yeast as bad....

I let it sit for a week, like it said to.
I think it was just a 'west coast lager' can that i added molases to.
yes.
no, i dont have the equipment yet.
yes.
glass.
leaving a bit in the bottle.

-The Air Pirate-

you got the results you can expect from a Mr. Beer kit and lack of any testing.

the more you put into it (equipment, effort, and learning) the better your results.

I'd say you got about what I would expect from a Mr. Beer. More time might help things get better, it's hard to say.

I would recommend upgrading your equipment if you think this is a hobby you want to pursue; nothing all that high tech about a starter kit.

Back