Maltrodextrin, cream of tarter, gum of arabic. How much would you say?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassdokes

Reaction score
First- thanks to all of you homebrewers who post here.

It is time to take home brewing to the next level. I have been brewing sodas just over one year with many excellent batches. I need some info on how much?

How much maltrodextrin per gallon of brew.
How much cream of tartar per gallon of brew.
How much gum of Arabic per gallon of brew.
When to add those ingredients.
Use them together or seperate?

We need some specifics.

Thanks brewers

So, if I am making root beer, ginger ale, or cream soda. I would follow the recipe, but instead of adding pure cane sugar (which I normally do) I would add gomme syrup that I prepped beforehand. Finish the recipe, pitch yeast and bottle or force carb.

Same idea with cream of tartar. Do everything the same but add cream of tartar when I add the sugar? Or do I need to make an invert sugar (syrup) then add to the recipe.

Is this stuff you can learn in culinary school, or is there a book on this.

I am hoping Mr. Food scientist has some input.

Thanks again homebrewers

On the gum arabic/gomme, when I have used in soda making I found in my bench trial, family preference, that they did not like it when I used more than 1 cup gomme syrup/gallon, so I just used no more than that and used other sugar of choice to make up any difference. And the gomme syrup really does make a difference when working with oils/zest, etc.

On the cream of tartar for soda base, I have only used it in the invert syrup capacity. I learned from my Grandmother, her 'formula' was pretty close to the links I referenced.

I'd be glad to throw in my two bits.

I know you're looking for a more specific answer, but the bottom line is that people have different tastes, maltodextrins and gums come in different grades, so your best bet is to do some experimentation and find what works best for you.

One thing your question isn't clear on is what are you trying to accomplish?

Maltodextrin and gums are used to add head and/or body.

Cream of Tartar is used to invert sugar so you get a different sweetness profile per pound of sugar that resembles more closely a commercial soda.

So I'd say you don't need to use maltodextrin and gum together because in my opinion it would be redundant, but I would have no problem using either one with cream of tartar since they have different functions.

I think you only need about 1/4 tsp cream of tartar per pound of sugar, but this must be heated before hand with the syrup (which is likely to get really thick), you can't just add it to your brew and expect it to work its magic. Do some searching for "invert sugar recipes" for more info.

Back