Do you cut the vines at harvest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manoaction

Reaction score
My first year chinook hops are heavily laden with cones and I'm going to harvest this weekend.

I had read that farmer cut the vines and twine off at the ground and haul everything into a shed to have the cones and stuff cut off in there.

Is that what I should do or should I just try to selectively trim the cones off of the vine and leave the vines to keep growing a few more weeks?

On my first Year hops, I'm planning on removing the cones but letting the bines remain until they die back on their own. This will allow them to continue to develop their root system.

Ital is correct. Just hand pick them this year. You don't want to cut the bine off the first year because it is still providing nutrients to the crown. The main thing you want to do the first year is establish a good root system and having as many leaves as possible is the best way to do this, plus keeping them happy with the right soil type and NPK. If you think you have a lot of cones this year, you'll be shocked next year.

after the cones are made, the remaining time is spent on root development.

Just like all the other post have stated.

This is good info! Mine are all first years, so I will be following your advice. I'm still waiting for mine to dry a little and yellow slightly on vine. We have been in 90's for past month + and they are still growing like crazy, cones are opening on some, but still green and damp. Mine should be ready soon...I can't wait to harvest them! My advice to other newbees is use good strong twine and anchors....each of mine have gone down at least once with wind and/or rain, but nothing lost yet.

Back