Looking for advice on building a dedicated brewing room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaddyb

Reaction score
So my wife gave me the ok to build a small room in the basement that I can brew in, with the stipulation she can use it for cake decorating too. It's going to be rather cozy at roughly 15' × 10', so space is limited. I still do extract, but all grain is on the horizon. Looking for any advice from anyone that's done it...

will the brewing actually be done in that room? If so, I would highly recommend going with an electric brewing setup. It will probably cost you less than putting in the proper ventilation system that'd be needed to keep you safe.

Other considerations include a wash basin, floor drain, gfci protected outlets, moisture resistant sheetrock (again if the brewing is to be done in the room). I would keep it a plain cement floor for cleaning ease, lots of shelves (empty carboys, mlt, hlt, brew kettles, bottles), a used stainless or aluminum work bench (or if you build one out of wood make sure it's sealed), the list goes on and on.

Will you have a dedicated fermention chamber?

Also, if you do go electric brewing ensure you have the proper guage wire. Depending on the set up it may require 30 amp recepticals or even 220v.

Yeah, I'm really leaning towards electric brewing, and yeah brewing will be done in it. I have a milk cooler I picked up for fermenting (looks like a chest freezer).

So my wife gave me the ok to build a small room in the basement that I can brew in, with the stipulation she can use it for sammich making

Sorry, had to.

My shed is only 10x20 and it's plenty big enough to do both in, unfortunately you'll have to sacrifice the bar area for a cake decorating table.
I can't recommend electric enough, it's fantastic, cool and fast. My build is in my sig if you need layout ideas.:mug:

_

Sorry, had to.

My shed is only 10x20 and it's plenty big enough to do both in, unfortunately you'll have to sacrifice the bar area for a cake decorating table.
I can't recommend electric enough, it's fantastic, cool and fast. My build is in my sig if you need layout ideas.:mug:

_

Lol, woman, get in the brew room and make me a sammich!

Ya know...a bar can double as a cake decorating table...cause it's about the right height, so she doesn't have to bend down too far. Get a few cabinets in there for supplies and I think you'd be set.

Ya know...a bar can double as a cake decorating table...cause it's about the right height, so she doesn't have to bend down too far. Get a few cabinets in there for supplies and I think you'd be set.

I was thinking along the same lines. Put a big general purpose work table in the middle of the room and give your wife one of the sets of shelves for cake decorating supplies and she's good to go.

Put an electric system alone one of the walls and a wash basin and it would be a pretty sweet setup.

I'm currently working on my brew room in our basement. I honestly don't know the exact size, but I would have to guess around 14'x16'. I'm going to be doing electric brewing and plan to do everything else in there as well (ie. racking, kegging, bottling). I do not have to share my room though, but I do have a general table in there that if need be, I could do so. I'm also making my room more of a show piece as well. I can post some pictures as soon as I get them if your interested.
Tom

I will have running water, and drainaige lines built in to the room. Basically it would be a galley style kitchen, minus an oven. I will basically set up a counter with a sink along one of the walls.

The whole kitchen will be sealed off from the rest of the house, I will use an exterior door to seal the rest of the house off, to help keep any of the animals, and their fur out.

Im heavily leaning towards electric brewing, but since Im still doing extract, and my equipment is pretty basic, what are my options?

Back