Sterling Pale Ale - Recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was at Russian River earlier this summer and they had an all Sterling Pale Ale on tap that was just fantasitc and I thought I would try to come up with something on my test system.

I bought a extra cooler for a mash/tun and use my HLT to boil in after all the water has been used for sparging from both a 5-10gallon batch and this smaller 3 gallon batch. I have done one brew so far and works pretty good. I can get both beers done in 5-6 hours.

Anyways, back on topic, what do you think of this recipe. I am basing this off of the principles Vinnie mentioned on making a great IIPA in the summer Zymurgy issue, I realize this is an APA but thought I would bring the ideas over in moderation.

Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.79 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 5.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 42.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 83.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.25 lb Great Western 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 89.47 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
0.75 oz Sterling [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 32.1 IBU
0.50 oz Sterling [7.00 %] (15 min) Hops 10.6 IBU
0.50 oz Sterling [7.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.25 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5.26 %
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [StartYeast-Ale

Let me know what you think, I know it's simple but that is what I want, almost a SMASH but not quite.

I want to dry hop this too so I am going to switch up the hopping a little. I only have 2oz of sterling so.....

0.75 oz Sterling [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 32.1 IBU
0.25 oz Sterling [7.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 oz Sterling [7.00 %] Dry hop

I know the amounts look small but this is only for a 3 gallon test batch.

more change yet again. I will be sure by Saturday though.

4.5 lb Great Western 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 92.2 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.12 %
0.65 oz Sterling [7.00 %] (FWH) Hops 30 IBU
0.35 oz Sterling [7.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 oz Sterling [7.00 %] Dry Hop
0.13 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 2.66 %

Should be 1.051 OG mash at 152

Previous pales and IPAs I have used pretty soft water. This time I want to go back to using tap water with is fairly hard, not well water by any means though.

As for the others, I am shooting for

CA:70 MG: 20 NA: 16 SO4: 175 CL: 55 HCO3: ~150 - 180

I would say if you mash at 152F you might need some more crystal but YMMV. Also, you don't need sugar in a pale ale. IPA maybe, PA no. Even though you FWH, I would still add a little at 60 minutes. Maybe cut back or eliminate the 15 minute if needed. Looks tasty!

I would say if you mash at 152F you might need some more crystal but YMMV. Also, you don't need sugar in a pale ale. IPA maybe, PA no. Even though you FWH, I would still add a little at 60 minutes. Maybe cut back or eliminate the 15 minute if needed. Looks tasty!

I started off thinking of mashing at 150 but thought it might go a little too low. Are you saying if I mash at 152, I would need more crystal to go with the residual sweetness to balance?

I started off thinking of mashing at 150 but thought it might go a little too low. Are you saying if I mash at 152, I would need more crystal to go with the residual sweetness to balance?

IMO unless you are doing a late hop burst PA you will probably need some sweetness to balance the beer and give it some body. I'm thinking a least a 1/2# crystal and/or dextrin. IPA's are great dry but PA's not so much but YMMV.

I know Vinny does not go over 5% crystal malt in his IPA, I heard this on one of the brewcast shows. I would also drop the sugar as well.

I know Vinny does not go over 5% crystal malt in his IPA, I heard this on one of the brewcast shows. I would also drop the sugar as well.

Well this is not a IPA but still, I have looked at a lot of pale recipes and most have about 5 % crystal which is where this recipe is at. I suppose I could toast a half pound of the 2-row to get more sweetness like Poobah58 is talking about but I don't want much sweetness in this beer.

I ended up going with a 60 minute addition instead of the FWH, hit the 1.051 OG on the nose. It smells great too. I stole some of the yeast cake from the Pliny clone I transferred this weekend and oxygenated it so It was fermenting violently withing 2 hours at 63F. Man does that WLP001 krausen look nasty.

Oh yeah, final recipe was this:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.79 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 5.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 83.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 lb Great Western 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.00 %
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.50 oz Sterling [7.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
0.65 oz Sterling [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 27.6 IBU
0.50 oz Sterling [7.00 %] (15 min) Hops 10.5 IBU
0.35 oz Sterling [7.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 5.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 6.32 qt of water at 163.5 F 152.0 F

This beer is smelling and tasting good so far. It has been dry hopping for almost a week now. I think I am going to move it to the fridge tonight since the hops are whole leaf and I am scared of the grassy flavor sneaking in there. I have been stirring it up every day to mix up the hops and makes sure all of the beer gets touched. FG was 1.009

Made this yesterday:

8lbs Maris Otter
2lbs Vienna
.50lbs Crystal 40

1.0 oz Sterling @ 60min
1.0 oz Sterling @ FWH
1.0 oz Sterling @ 15min

1.0 oz Crystal @ Dry Hop
Safale-05. OG: 1.056. Mash 154.

Made this yesterday:

8lbs Maris Otter
2lbs Vienna
.50lbs Crystal 40

1.0 oz Sterling @ 60min
1.0 oz Sterling @ FWH
1.0 oz Sterling @ 15min

1.0 oz Crystal @ Dry Hop
Safale-05. OG: 1.056. Mash 154.

Have you tasted yours yet?

Mine didn't turn out as good as I wanted.

My bottles are undercarbed, I put in just as much priming sugar as I should have, not sure what is the problem. There is a little grassy flavor or something. Still drinkable but not a masterpiece :(

Tapped the keg tonight. This is awesome. Slight citrus notes from the sterling. Crystal is a very nice complimentary hop for this. I will definitely do this again. It's a good change from the normal citrus styled APA's and IPA's.

Tapped the keg tonight. This is awesome. Slight citrus notes from the sterling. Crystal is a very nice complimentary hop for this. I will definitely do this again. It's a good change from the normal citrus styled APA's and IPA's.

Very cool, that is good to hear. I actually had my last bottle of my sterling pale last night.

I have a pale ale that's real similar to what you have here, with the exception of some rye malt in the mash and some Willamette hops for finishing. I like the beady-spicy combination of rye and Sterling.

All Sterling pale ale reminds me of a little less citrusy Amarillo. I think Sterling and Amarillo would be a great combo. The longer the Sterling sits, the more "spicy orange" it gets.

Back