Any good tips for marathon drinking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm pub crawling Brooklyn NY and I'm looking at about 10 hours of beer. Other than pacing myself, anything else that helps not feeling like death the day after. I plan on mixing in lots of food and some water...

Soulive said:
Tomorrow I'm pub crawling Brooklyn NY and I'm looking at about 10 hours of beer. Other than pacing myself, anything else that helps not feeling like death the day after. I plan on mixing in lots of food and some water...

It sounds like you've already got a pretty good plan there. It always starts out like that and then the beer takes over. :mug:

I also find starting off with a good meal helps alot too, if you go into it with an empty stomach it will catch up to you fast. I'd also say a water for every 2 beers.

Its also good they're mostly cask beers, won't fill you up with carbonation as much! what bars are you going to? (i live in Brooklyn)

As for feeling better the next day, I find that drinking a ton of water in the 2 hours or so before bed eliminates any hangover.

I've done the 2 beers/1 water route and it works great. It gets difficult after awhile to remember to drink water, but if you stick with it you should be fine.

i would try all these things and then forget to do them and drink myself silly then wake up hungover as hell.

but that's just me :) i'm having a party with two of my brews tonight. i plan to be hungover tomorrow.

Sounds like water is recommended by everyone. How about taking some B-complex?

artfuldodger - I'm not positive yet but probably the brewery, Mugs, Barcade, and Radegast...

Another one chiming in for the 1 non-alcoholic drink per beer. Coffee, Soda, Water, whatever. Also, drink at least another liter or more of water before bed.

I find a huge plate of biscuits and sausage gravy is a good hangover breakfast.

the beer selection at spuyten duyvil is absolutely top notch, and it's only a couple blocks from barcade (down metropolitan under the BQE and right on union ave. between ainslie and powers).

i'd also like to throw in a plug for sixpoint beers, brewed in brooklyn by friends of friends. all of them, but their barleywine if you can get your hands on it.

enjoy! wish i was there.

edit: don't forget free pizza at the alligator lounge for soaking up booze!

john from dc said:
the beer selection at spuyten duyvil is absolutely top notch, and it's only a couple blocks from barcade (down metropolitan under the BQE and right on union ave. between ainslie and powers).

i'd also like to throw in a plug for sixpoint beers, brewed in brooklyn by friends of friends. all of them, but their barleywine if you can get your hands on it.

enjoy! wish i was there.

edit: don't forget free pizza at the alligator lounge for soaking up booze!

Thanks man. We've done SD many times so we're subbing in Radegast this time. I agree Sixpoint is nice, but I'm going with a professional brewer who doesn't like Shane too much. We don't want any drama! Cheers...

Soulive said:
I agree Sixpoint is nice, but I'm going with a professional brewer who doesn't like Shane too much. We don't want any drama!

haha, i don't blame you then. sounds like you're in for a good time.

yumm... all good places! Mugs has great burgers & fries if you're there for dinner...

wait nevermind you're going to Radegast... even better drunk food there.

You want to make sure you end up at the pub closest to your home.

A couple of ibuprofen never hurt right as you pass out.

On the water:beer bit, I just order a glass of water with my first beer and make sure to go for that water often. I imagine it does work out to about one water for every two or three beers. In addition to the other benefits drinking water brings, drinking it contemporaneously helps to dilute the stuff going into your small intestine, thus slowing alcohol absorption. It might be only a subtle effect, on a ten hour buzzathon, it might make all the difference.

And, that thing sirsloop mentioned certainly couldn't hurt. Just be sure you know who's on the giving end (or make doubly sure you don't care!)

TL

TexLaw said:
On the water:beer bit, I just order a glass of water with my first beer and make sure to go for that water often. I imagine it does work out to about one water for every two or three beers. In addition to the other benefits drinking water brings, drinking it contemporaneously helps to dilute the stuff going into your small intestine, thus slowing alcohol absorption. It might be only a subtle effect, on a ten hour buzzathon, it might make all the difference.

And, that thing sirsloop mentioned certainly couldn't hurt. Just be sure you know who's on the giving end (or make doubly sure you don't care!)

TL

I agree that drinking the water along side the beer helps. I usually do it that way too. I survived Philly last Saturday this way. Back to back Saturday pub crawls rule! :tank:

mmmmmmmmm, 10 hours of drinking. That sounds a lot like one of my double 10 gallon brew sessions! :rockin:

A while back, a buddy of mine told me to start off a binge with a couple of Vitamin Cs, drink water occasionally and at the end of the night, pound two pints of water and 4 more V Cs.

I tried it once and there wasn't a hangover symptom to be found. I just couldn't remember to try it again for more conclusive evidence.

+ another for mixing some non alcoholic drinks and food with the beers or any other booze.

Don't get too adventurous with new foods while drinking more than usual. If it's going to disagree with you on no booze, a belly full o beer can very well make it fight you, even if you've got a cast iron cauldron for a stomach.

We were out one night and this lil chic was laughing at me for having a Coke while the rest were still pounding 4 Horsemen, Royal F**ks and other ominous sounding beverages. The next day, the last laugh was mine.

In addition to drinking lots of water, avoid caffeine like the plague. Alcohol will dehydrate you on its own, you don't need anything else working against you

If you wake up feeling like crap, take a nice shower and eat something that's sugary but easy on the stomach (sprite, fruit, lightly sugared cereal). That should kill any dizziness.

Periodically ask yourself if you are having a good time. Ask youself why.
Relect on whether having more will help you or hinder you. Ask youself this every sip as the evening wears on.

The most important thing, is eat a three-egg fried egg sandwich and have a tall glass of ice water right before bed.

Glibbidy said:
What's up with all these wookies. Speaking of which, careful of the passed out wookies!

2133-batthehelm.JPG

I'll keep my distance... ;)

Somebody mentioned avoiding caffeine. Avoid soda pop too. I took a health class in college and retained nothing except the term "diuretic". Why I don't know. Diuretics force water out of your body by making you pee a lot. Anything with alcohol, caffeine, or carbonation is included.

And as for the B Complex I've been using it for about a year on heavy consumption nights. It's not a miracle cure or anything, but I think it does make you feel better.

I made it back in one piece! Not feeling great today but definitely not as bad as it could be. Williamsburg (Brooklyn) rules if anyone is considering it for a pub crawl :rockin:

jds said:
I find a huge plate of biscuits and sausage gravy is a good hangover breakfast.

You have biscuits and gravy in Colorado? I thought that was a Southern thing. ;)

That's good hangover food, definitely, but my absolute favorite hangover food is a greasy cheesesteak with ham and egg. Lots protein, grease, and it tastes _awesome_.

Back