Faulty secondary reg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendozer

Reaction score
I have been draining CO2 tanks like it's going out of fashion. I've discovered three leaks
1: one of my regulator bodies (can hear it, but no bubbles from soapy water)
2: the straight piece from tank to primary regulator body. Think i fixed it with silicone and tried tightening it.
3: my carbing line wasn't clamped so that was leaking a bit.

How can I fix a leaky regulator?

I'm using the Norgren regulators here

I took it apart, basically it's a membrane with a spring and screw nut thing for adjusting pressure. Leaky membrane perhaps?

Other option is to scrap this for a manifold. I keep all my pressures on 10-12 anyways for all beers. I do however carb off my primary. So I'd need at least one secondary to regulate that pressure.

ok so these "air regulators" are rated 0-300 psi. CO2 tanks are higher than that, but if I never go above 10-12 these should still be ok yeah?

If not, I won't waste my time trying to fix this thing and I'll just buy one secondary and a 3 way manifold on top of that.

If you're thinking about running regulators rated for a max pressure of 300 psi directly from a CO2 tank, please make sure all other living things are well away from the premises, so you're the only victim...

Cheers!

If you're thinking about running regulators rated for a max pressure of 300 psi directly from a CO2 tank, please make sure all other living things are well away from the premises, so you're the only victim...

Cheers!

Remember these are secondaries. I have a primary on the tank which then reduces pressure to 10-12 psi and holds it there constantly.

Remember these are secondaries. I have a primary on the tank which then reduces pressure to 10-12 psi and holds it there constantly.

Ok, but "ok so these "air regulators" are rated 0-300 psi. CO2 tanks are higher than that, but if I never go above 10-12 these should still be ok yeah?" sounded like you might try running them as primaries.

You'll likely have to have the primary set for closer to 20 psi to have these secondaries provide regulated 10-12 psi at their outputs. Regulators have a minimum pressure differential and 5 psi is not atypical...

Cheers!

My problem is one body is leaking though and it's through the adjustment knob piece. Should I try to fix this component (idk how), or should I scrap it and have three then add a splitter to one of them to still have four. OR....scrap it all because this is bound to happen again and go with one CO2 secondary and/or manifolds?

Back