Efficiency Way Low!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish1320

Reaction score
First batch in the now 4 AG batches I have done that my efficiency is way low. Should of had pre boil of 1.051 and I am 1.042. Its one of 2 things, a) I used a different place to get grains which in turn gave me a different crush (time to buy a mill) and b) I tried to brew a Stout without knowing anything about my tap water and it was the first time I used the tap water instead of bottled spring water. Lessons learned. Hopefully it will still be drinkable.

Well, it's still style appropriate. A 42 stout is a whole lot better than a 42 barleywine. :)

Chances are, the crush is the first place to look. The higher percentage of roasted grains could lower ph, but that generally a more forgiving variable than crush.

I had a low efficiency to start. First place I looked was my thermometer. You could be getting less sugars out if your thermometer is reading higher than actual.

Second, I went to 90 minute mash. Reached 65-70% efficiency.

Got my own mill - reached 78%.

Just got a new drill for the mill so I can close the gap a little tighter. I expect my efficiency to go up a little more after that.

Yea I am going to be investing in my own mill. Only way to be consistent. The boil off bought it up a bit more then I anticipated, so it will be fine, but none the less a mill is a must when brewing AG, should of bought it sooner.

Back