Brewpubs in Pismo/SLO/Paso Area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lennie

Reaction score
We're heading to CA for vacation next week and I wanted to get recommendations for places to find good beer. We're staying in Pismo Beach. I see one brewpub in Pismo where we're staying, and several in SLO. I was kind of thinking of hitting Firestone Walker in Paso. Are there other well-thought-of breweries/brewpubs I need to visit?

Thanks for the recommendations, keep'em coming. I'll see how many I can sample and report back.

If you don't mind driving south on the 101 about an hour there is Figueroa Mtn. Brewing in Buellton. Firstone Walker also has a taproom in Buellton.

I didn't enjoy Creekside, had some average beer there and some terrible food, but I HAVE heard they've greatly improved since my visit right after they opened (3-4 years ago?). If you're in Downtown SLO, check out Downtown Brew- great bar/brewpub with some really tasty beers and good pub food. Mother's Tavern downtown is also great, has very good food and a decent selection of craft beer- not a brewpub though, they only serve other peoples' beer.

Firestone walker has a great new facility (some under construction still).
SLO is just a cool place in general.
Are you driving down the 101?

There are some sweet / unique breweries in N. Cali too.
Mad River - Blue Lake
RedWood Curtain - Arcata

I figure I should talk up both of my employers...
Doc's Cellar is the homebrew shop here in SLO, I recommend stopping in
You should stop by Central Coast Brewing as well; we have some tasty beer flowing right now

Paul, definitely will do!

My daughter lived in Shell Beach and worked in Santa Maria for a year or so and we visited her once a couple years ago.. We didn't make it to SLO but hit a festival in Morro Bay that had wine and microbrew, and we saw Canned Heat. The whole family is going this time, kids are signed up for surfing lessons on Pismo. I plan to sample beer, wine and good food.

I sit here in the airport reminiscing of the weeks events that included some good suds. We hit FW and sampled a number of their offerings. Also tried Creekside and Central Coast in SLO. Central Coast had some very solid brews. Also managed to find bombers of Port brewing Wipeout and Ballast Point Big Eye.
Now the only thing left is to fly home and pay for it all.

I didn't make it there but saw their bottled beers for sale too. I didn't realize they were from SLO or I'd have tried them.

Back