How many cones in an ounce?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiGladys

Reaction score
I am too cheap to buy a decent scale and this is my first year growing hops. I am about to harvest a couple hundred cones.

Is there a decent rule of thumb about how many dried hops make up an ounce? I know there are a lot of variables, but a rough estimate will help out a lot.

Send me your dried cones and I'll weigh them for you. In turn I'll vacuum seal/pack them and return them to you for a nominal fee of 25% of your total gross weight! :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. As previouslly posted you can pick up a good scale for not a lot of money.

There are exactly 102.7 cones on average per oz. of my hops:D

That's just the cascade, and we had a great growing season here. Last year it was 14 cones lower. Hallertau is 197 cones per oz.

You get the point. There is no "cones per oz." count. You have to dry and wiegh them to know for sure. There are so many variables between cone size, variety, moisture left with how you dry them, etc.....

I use a $5 triple beam balance (please no comments, I bought it last year when I started getting serious about my hops) that I got at a garage sale for my weights. So easy and it doesn't lie!

Back