What stupid things did you used to think were true?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Either before you started brewing or when you first started off...what are some of the dumb things your thought were true?

I'll go first...

I used to think that fermentation needed the pressure to work...glad I learned otherwise before I ever brewed anything!!

I used to think that beer was so uber-sensitive to infection that I would wear sanitized rubber gloves when dealing with cooled wort and avoid even BREATHING near the fermenter.

• I used to think that Star San wasn't reusable...and subsequently went through a jug in a week.
  • I used to think that I needed to spend tons of $$ to do AG.
  • I used to think that I could ferment all my ales in the mid to high 70's and still have great beer.
  • I used to think that using liquid yeast as much as possible would make all my beers better.
  • I used to think that hydrometers were too much trouble.
  • I used to think that every batch I did had to be something that nobody's ever done before, and that traditionally styled brews'd be boring.

Two of the biggest things for me are:

I used to think that beer needed to racked out of the primary fermeter after 1 week or it would go bad.

I used to think that liquid yeast was better.

I used to think the only way to make beer at home was from malt extract and only the big breweries could do it from grain.

Funny, I just had this very thread idea last night on the plane ride back from DEN.

* I used to think that brewing was a very rigid process and that homebrewing was very limited in what it could do.

Evan! said:
  • I used to think that I needed to spend tons of $$ to do AG.

That one assumption on my part kept me from going into all grain until I started seeing other folks cheap AG rigs....

I used to think that I didn't like heavy, full calorie beers and would never bother to try to make any.

Having unlimited access to every conceivable fruit variety, free, kept me in wine making mode for a long, long time.

Now I have little interest in wine, but I think beer is sacred. If I only knew THEN what I know now.... :eek:

I used to think that brewing was a really inexpensive hobby and that I'd never need much more than what you get in a basic kit

On my first beer, I somehow missed the fact that you had to add water to an airlock. So, I guess I believed that a piece of plastic covered by a rounded piece of plastic would keep my beer safe from infection.

I used to think hydrometers would bounce. They don't.

I used to think that I would never buy commercial beer again once I built up my supply.

I used to think I should keg every beer, just because I had the equipment.

I used to think the 1-2-3 method was required for all styles.

First time I used liquid yeast, I thought pitchable meant... well, pitchable (no starter).

As said by Evan, I used to think I could ferment every ale at room temp.

I used to think approximate mashing temps were okay.

I used to think that I liked low hopped beers and that I'd never be an IPA lover.

I used to think that beer was very difficult to make and somewhat mystical.

I used to think homebrewing was for fat guys too cheap to drink "real" beer.

I used to think you had to shake a beer bottle filled with harvested yeast before you opened it, to mix it up

I used to think that three cornies was enough.

I used to think I had to put a friggin label on each and everyone of my bottles when I bottled.

I used to think that 14 cornies was enough…

I used to think that BM's ugly junk could never work ;)

(sorry buddy, I just found your keggle video :D)

I used to think Miller Lite was the Shiznit!!!

3rd the beer will get infected from funny looks

Beer would not ferment if I didn't watch it like a hawk

Beer would be ruined if not racked off the yeast at exactly 1 week

10 cornies is more beer than I could possibly need on hand at any given time

That 3 fermenters would be enough

That 6 fermenters would be enough

Yuri_Rage said:
I used to think that beer was so uber-sensitive to infection that I would wear sanitized rubber gloves when dealing with cooled wort and avoid even BREATHING near the fermenter.
Ditto that! I used to mop down every surface in the kitchen with bleach before brewing, wear surgical gloves while bottling, and even put on a surgical mask. Furthermore, I'd ban ANYBODY from entering the kitchen after the boil until the wort was cooled pitched and covered...don't be bringing your damn germs near MY brew!

I've relaxed a lot since then, and just adhere to good solid sanitation practices. So far so good, I've made about 50 batches in my life, with no infections. I still get a bit nervous when my girlfriend decides to dig through her stinky crock of fermenting Japanese pickles just as I'm preparing to pitch! (Anybody who thinks fermenting Apfelwein stinks, ought to get a whif of this stuff...)

BlindLemonLars said:
(Anybody who thinks fermenting Apfelwein stinks, ought to get a whif of this stuff...)

My apfelwein fermenter smells awesome.

It's that california yeast that smells terrible.

I used to think that adding 2lbs of corn syrup (with vanilla flavoring) would only have an effect on the ABV.

I used to think Natty Ice was really good

I used to Not think about micro brew beers at all

I used to think Sam Adams Boston Lager had a lot of hops

I used to think that drinking the same beer everytime was good

I used to think homebrew tasted like crap, like my friends college buddy
made in the 70's. Bring him a six'r of Groelch bottles and you were his
best friend.

I used to think brewing AG would be complicated.

I used to think decoction mashes would be complicated.

I used to think yeast washing would be complicated.

I used to think lots of stuff would be complicated.

HBT changed all that.

I used to think that Ales were dark beer and Lagers were light beer.

(Its true, I really was that stupid.)

First off I have to say this is a pretty cool thread!

I used to think that beer was very unforgiving, no room for errors/mistakes/deviations from recipes exact instructions, along with the paranoia about infection.
Now I know, beer's pretty damn forgiving! Who here brews without drinking a couple or more HB's during the process!? Inevitably, you mess up, but the beer still comes out great!

After my 2nd trip to the hbs to buy the other equipment I realized that I needed I thought that would be the last time I bought new brewing equipment... god knows how much money later and I still have a wish list that grows daily...

brloomis said:
I used to think that Ales were dark beer and Lagers were light beer.

I have a BMC buddy that said the following about homebrew; "I don't drink those ales and lagers..."

Back