Cider Ready?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jthoward013

Reaction score
hey guys i made cider last friday. only 2.5 gals but used enough yeast for 5 gals. the OG was 1.095 and ive checked for 2 days and its 1.010 so im getting around 11% alcohol and the yeast was spost to finish out around 12%. the cider is still cloudy a bit. tasted a bit out of my hydrometer jar and it tastes pretty good. is it finished or should i let it go for a while longer.

I leave my ciders in primary for 2-3 weeks, then let them carb and condition for 2 months or more, and I typically make a cider at a much lower ABV, around 7%. Your higher ABV cider might be drinkable, but it is not going to really be fully conditioned for a good 2-3 months, honestly.

If you want to drink it young, it's your cider, but TRUST ME, it will be 100% better with 2-3 months of conditioning.

Are you botting or kegging?

Never made a cider that strong, but my ciders always ferment down to < 1.000.
I've made beers and wines as strong as that, but they have all taken over a year to become good. Some of the wines have taken over 4 years before they were what I would consider drinkable.

-a.

I would leave it a bit longer. It is not uncommon for a fermentation to stop for a few days if the temperature, for instance, is not within the fermenting range of the yeast. You have only had it in primary for 1 week. It is perfectly OK to leave it in primary for up to 3 weeks. As you only have a gravity of 1.010, and not closer to 1.000, I would leave it.

If after another week it is still 1.010, and the temperature was constant and correct for the strain of yeast used, you should be OK to go.

I have made cider on a couple occasions..... The one thing I have learned is to make really good cider takes more patients then beer. Like others have said ferment in primary for 3 weeks minimum, then bottle condition for at least a month. The best cider I ever made was nasty tasting after three weeks in primary but I decided to bottle it anyway and let it condition for 4 months and it was amazing! I know you are dying to get it bottled and carbed up but be patient an it will turn our awesome!

Back