no brewing for the next couple months for me. F- my life (warning graphic picture)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonp9576

Reaction score
so its been one week today since i shattered and dislocated my ankle in a softball game. who dos that. sliding into third base i didnt get my foot all the way under my leg. I heard a loud crack and a pop.
here is what happened.
149759_593322066097_43603033_34224319_2788596_n.jpg

i have some sweet pics of the x-rays. that i will try to post. there are 6 screws, a big pin and a plate holding my ankle together. i was awake for the surgery since i ate breakfast that morning they couldnt knock me out. the doctor was taking xrays the entire time and showing them to me on a screen. i'll try to get them posted.

no weight on it for 8 weeks, then in a walking boot for another 8. hopefully i can brew in my boot.

Wow, get the guy some Oxycontin stat! Hope your recover is a speedy one.

the worst part is...i am allergic to morphine, which is in 98% of all good pain killers. i sat in pain till they could find something that wouldnt kill me.

Yikes! I broke my leg BMXing when I was in 9th grade almost the same way...still have a plate and 8 screws in my leg. If you end up like me, you can feel part-cyborg and still feel/see the heads of the screws poking out of your skin a little bit.

I was also in a boot, and if your case is anything like mine, you'll be putting weight on it pretty quickly. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

I think now's a good time to invest in an automated/pump system so you don't have to do any of the heavy lifting! :rockin:

haha, he said the one big pin is coming out but the plate and 6 screws are staying in.

i wish i could invest in an automated system, but i am going to have trouble making mortgage payments being out of work.

haha, he said the one big pin is coming out but the plate and 6 screws are staying in.

i wish i could invest in an automated system, but i am going to have trouble making mortgage payments being out of work.

Jon, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

the worst part is...i am allergic to morphine, which is in 98% of all good pain killers. i sat in pain till they could find something that wouldnt kill me.

Good lord man, that's horrible! I would recommend having a medic-alert bracelet with the pain relievers I can talk for just such emergencies. Wow you are my hero!

That sucks. I sure can sympathize- I broke my leg playing hockey (in several places) and I was laid up for nearly 18 months.

Of course, you CAN brew from a wheelchair- trust me. That's how I started brewing with "real" ingredients. I was bored out of my mind and needed a hobby. And "Broken Leg Brewery" was born.

I'm not one for pain meds- I get way too loopy and I find that I still hurt, I'm just stupid. So I got by with Aleve, Ibuprofen, and good books to take my mind off of the pain.

Good luck with your recovery. I'll be thinking of you.

Wow.

I've seen a couple guys get hit with hard hit balls, but never any softball injuries like that.

Wow dude. I feel your pain, I just did the same thing in May. I'm in the plate and 6 screws club too. I slipped on the hardwood floors in my apartment and broke it. My foot wasn't that out of place, but it was close. Don't rush things. I was 2 weeks in a soft cast after the surgury, than 3 or 4 in a hard cast, than a boot for another 8 (4 with no weight at all and 4 more getting back on my feet again). One thing I didn't do enough of was to keep exercising the leg you're not using. Good luck with the recovery.

Go to the Social Security office and try to get on SSDI. That is what it is there for and maybe you could use it.

YIKES... that sucks dude, I feel for you! this is exactly why I carry a supplemental accident insurance policy, because sooner or later I expect I'll be in the same boat.

Impressive man, best I ever did was crack a metatarsal shaft jumping off a 14 foot wall (obstacle course). Since it was on a Marine base, they didn't give me anything. Just said to wear my combat boots all the time!

As a pharmacist I have to ask, what is your reaction to morphine. There are a lot more side effect (i.e nausea, vomiting/ itchiness) with morphine that there are true allergies.

I would remove that image and just crop it, there is some information on there that is problematic for HIPAA and for your identity . . . .

I second censoring some of that data for your own safety and HIPAA privacy rules

It's been a while since I've been through HIPAA training, but I don't see how this could be a HIPAA issue, since the person HIPAA is supposed to protect voluntarily posted his own medical/personal info.

Yeah, this isn't a Hipaa issue. If the x-ray tech posted teh pictures, then there would be problems.

Anyway, my softball league doesn't even allow sliding into base. Maybe it's because I'm on a coed team?? LOL

Yeah, this isn't a Hipaa issue. If the x-ray tech posted teh pictures, then there would be problems.

Actually, even if the tech did post the pics, there's no HIPAA violations at all from what I see. Nothing divulging the patient's info or their face, or the location of the hospital. Just one f***ed-up ankle. :cross:

It's been a while since I've been through HIPAA training, but I don't see how this could be a HIPAA issue, since the person HIPAA is supposed to protect voluntarily posted his own medical/personal info.

His insurance company would argue to the contrary on all points.

Actually, even if the tech did post the pics, there's no HIPAA violations at all from what I see. Nothing divulging the patient's info or their face, or the location of the hospital. Just one f***ed-up ankle. :cross:

It'd still be an issue. You need to get patients to sign releases to publish that sort of stuff. Even without identifying them.

i dont see the hippa problem with the picture i posted. its my foot.

heres my xray 3 weeks after surgery.
xray.jpg

As a pharmacist I have to ask, what is your reaction to morphine. There are a lot more side effect (i.e nausea, vomiting/ itchiness) with morphine that there are true allergies.

I second censoring some of that data for your own safety and HIPAA privacy rules

Anaphylaxis. and theres no data on my picture.

Dang brother! I feel ya'. That is some serious athletes foot irrtation just based on the redness. ;)

yea, i've been batteling that for a while. the doctor gave me cream. it went away for a couple months. i stopped using the cream one day and its back.

Back