cant get high crystal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunmojo

Reaction score
well im am trying to crank out some recipes from Jamils book, but a lot of them use crystal 120. the problem is I cant get anything that high in Hungary..

i can get something close to crystal 40, caraboheam which is like crystal 70-80. or special B.

what can I due to supplement the crystal 120 in most of these recipes... are they important???

Special b is somewhere in the 140 range or so. You could always just use a smaller amount of special b. It wont be perfect, but it will get you close.

thanks, i was guessing i could do that. o by the way im trying to get weyeran to send me a comparison chart of their malts. I figured if it comes from them then I take their word for it... has anyone been able to get ahold of such a chart from them... or aanything...

Special B 140 - 155 L - The darkest of the Belgian crystal malts, Special B will impart a heavy caramel taste and is often credited with the raisin-like flavors of some Belgian Abbey ales.

Crystal 120L is used in Red Ales and in beers where you want a heavy caramel flavor contribution.

I'd use 10-15% less of the Special B.

Back