Sour milk aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldSole

Reaction score
I just kegged a Red Rye that I brewed about a month ago and noticed what I thought was a sour milk aroma. Tasting my hydrometer sample didn't reveal any sourness, and I didn't notice any visible signs of infection during any of the fermentation/maturation. I'm going to be a good homebrewer and carbonate it and wait to see if my nose is playing tricks on me. I'm also a little sick right now, so my nose isn't in tip top shape. I'd like to hear some of your thoughts as to whether you think I really have an infection here. Here's the recipe:

OG: 1.064
FG: 1.014
ABV: 6.1%
IBU: 48 (as calculated by brewing software)

8 lb US 2-row
2 lb Malted Rye
1 lb Crystal 60L
2 oz. roasted barley

.5 oz Nugget 60 min
.5 oz each Nugget/Chinook 15 min
.5 oz each Nugget/Chinook 5 min

This is the first time I've worked with Chinook - just curiosity I guess. Not sure if unfamiliar hop aromas might be fooling me here. Thanks everyone!

Well, I think it was just some unfamiliar hop aromas and a stuffy nose playing tricks on me. It's now carbonated and it is delicious! Assertive, malty, and very bitter with just enough sweetness to back it up. The Nugget and Chinook together make a very interesting profile in the nose. Once again, patience has saved another batch of homebrew.

Back