Should I add some hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverendBrett

Reaction score
I brewed up an Irish Red Ale kit from my LHBS last weekend. Pulled some out today to check the FG (1.011), and chilled and tasted the sample.

No hop aroma at all, which I've now learned is normal for this style. Should I just throw some more hops into the bucket a few days before bottling? I'd like to get more of an American Amber style beer.

Well, based on what you are saying then yes you should. It won't fall under the Irish Red style anymore but that seems to be the point so I guess you're ok with that. With a lower gravity beer an ounce of hops should be good for you. Anywhere from 3-7 days should get you a good result.

Any specific hop variety you were looking at? What was in the recipe? If you want American Cascade is always a safe dry hop recommendation.

I agree with all of the above, but just wanted to say that Willamette is a good American dry hop as well. I would be a bit worried how an American hop variety would fare in an Irish style. I would probably opt for an English hop like Fuggles or East Kent Goldings.

Well my initial reaction is that you brewed an Irish red. Do this: say to yourself (out loud) "Irish reds are not hoppy beers" three times and then take a swig. You'll love it after that.

Now I am a hophead from way back so if you *really* want a hoppy amber brew this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/valentines-day-amber-235097/

I also have a really nice Irish red recipe but, um, it is not very hoppy!!

Thanks for all the advice! I think I just picked the Irish Red because of the excitement to do my first batch. I didn't actually give any thought to what I was getting, or I would have grabbed and IPA. It just sounded good.

Then I spent last Saturday night down at Stone Brewing, and was just immersed in hops. Now tonight I have had a New Belgium Red Hoptober to start, then I taste my FG sample.

Needs more hops! In a couple weeks I'll dump in some more to bring the aroma up, style be damned!

Back