High or Low Boil off Rate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Low or High Boiloff Rate?

• Low

• High

Results are only viewable after voting.

HopOnHops

Reaction score
So im in the market for a new brewkettle. Currently i have a very wide brewpot with a high boiloff rate (1.8 gal/hr) Im curious if there are any arguments for or against a high or low boiloff rate. Im my mind i think i would prefer the higher rate because you might squeeze a little extra efficiency out of your mash. Thoughts?

As long as you know what the boil off rate is, it shouldn't really matter. With that said, I would prefer to have a higher boil off rate incase I overshoot my volume.

I mostly brew in my kitchen so I prefer a low boil off rate to limit how much moisture I add to the house. As long as I get a slow rolling boil, I feel I get a good beer for my effort. I BIAB and control my water quantity pretty well.

I just switched to a low wide pot that the one time I brewed I boiled off 2 gallons. Bitter cold night though so that might have had something to do with it.

I would have thought the transition would have been a easy one but honestly it might take some time to learn the pot and get used to it

On the one hand, I'd prefer to have a low boil off rate, but on the other hand, if I'm going to miss my post-boil volume, I'd prefer to over boil and wind up with not enough wort in my fermenter rather than too much. It's cheaper to add water than it is to add DME.

I recently listened to 'The Boil' episode of Brew Strong and they said the ideal rate is somewhere between 8-15%, which for me is a weak, but still rolling, boil.

Back