AHS Texas Red...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian74

Reaction score
Anyone tried this recipe? I'm about to brew it but I'm wondering about the amount of bittering hops the recipe calls for. I chose this beer b/c I want a malty beer without a lot of hop bitterness. It calls for 2oz. of Crystal (4.3% AA) which seems like a lot. Thoughts?

I'm making this for a group of work friends and don't want to ruin their perception of homebrew by serving them an overly-hoppy beer.

I wish AHS included a profile of the beer in their recipe, eg. IBU, SRM.

Anyone tried this recipe? I'm about to brew it but I'm wondering about the amount of bittering hops the recipe calls for. I chose this beer b/c I want a malty beer without a lot of hop bitterness. It calls for 2oz. of Crystal (4.3% AA) which seems like a lot. Thoughts?

I'm making this for a group of work friends and don't want to ruin their perception of homebrew by serving them an overly-hoppy beer.

I wish AHS included a profile of the beer in their recipe, eg. IBU, SRM.

It depends on the OG, but two ounces of a 4.3% AAU hop shouldn't be bitter. If the OG is 1.050, the IBUs would be about 29-30. If you tell us the recipe, we could look at it and tell you how bitter or hoppy it will be.

Yeah, the OG is about 1.055. My boil volume will be about 3 gallons and this will also contribute to less hop utilization.

AHS Texas Red (Partial Mash):

Malt:

2.5 lbs 2-row
1 lb Special B
.5 lbs Crystal 90L
.25 lb White Wheat

5 lbs Extra Pale Extract

Hops:

2 oz Crystal, 60 min
.5 oz Crystal, 15 min
.5 oz Crystal, 5 min

Yeast:

Nottingham Ale

for an 1.055 OG beer that'll be malty. since you're doing a 3g boil, like you said that'll lower the IBU a bit as well. you be in the 28-30 IBU range most likely (maybe lower)... not bitter at all

for an 1.055 OG beer that'll be malty. since you're doing a 3g boil, like you said that'll lower the IBU a bit as well. you be in the 28-30 IBU range most likely (maybe lower)... not bitter at all

I agree- and with 1.5 pounds of crystal to balance the bitterness, it'll be balanced well.

i did it about a year ago, it was pretty good. Not overly hoppy not overly malty. Good balance and drinks easily. Definitely has the "red" look to it in the glass.

I know this is an ancient thread, but I thought I'd update for possible future reference...

I just kegged this beer 3 days ago, and it is a really good beer. I like smooth, malt-forward, low IBU brews, and this one hits all those criteria. It's a beautiful color, too! It's a good, balanced beer drinkers of all styles would enjoy.

This pic is from the first keg pull, so there was a little bottom sediment that came through in this pour, but it's actually crystal clear.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I know this is an ancient thread, but I thought I'd update for possible future reference...

I just kegged this beer 3 days ago, and it is a really good beer. I like smooth, malt-forward, low IBU brews, and this one hits all those criteria. It's a beautiful color, too! It's a good, balanced beer drinkers of all styles would enjoy.

This pic is from the first keg pull, so there was a little bottom sediment that came through in this pour, but it's actually crystal clear.

When do I get to try it? :D

Trade you a bottle of Graff for a sample. :mug:

Forgot to mention I did change the hops schedule on this. I did:

All crystal-
1oz 60 min
1oz 15 min
1oz 5 min

Because it's what bitter wussies do ;-)

LMAO! I was researching reds and came across this thread. I looked at the OP's handle and thought...hmm Brian74 from Tyler Texas...that describes me (well it did a few years ago anyway).

A little back story, I took some time off for school and didn't brew for a few years so when I came back to HBT, I couldn't remember my sign on so had to come up with a new one.

I clicked on the brian74 profile and figured out it WAS me lol!

So I guess I should give an update on the Texas Red. It was great. I took it to that work party and served it from the keg, which was fun. One guy actually got drunk that night! He was a fan of the red!

Back