Am I being paranoid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mmenges

Reaction score
I'm always thinking of what I can do better and I keep retracing the steps from my last batch. The fermenter had the smell of cascade hops from my previous batch even after I sanitized with Iodophor for one hour. This is only the second batch I've done in this ale pale. I'm hoping this won't cause an off taste but I have a feeling that if I could smell it, it's definitely going to carry over into the next batch. Is this normal and am I being paranoid or was I suppose to put some diluted bleach in the pale and let it soak. Thanks in advance for your advice.

If it's sanitary, it's all good. The worst that could happen is you'll have a custom house blend that is uniquely hopped.

With regards to paranoia,

what's that behind you?!!!

No, over there...

Yeah, behind the bush?

It's normal from my perspective - my primary bucket smells of past batches - it smells great!! As long as you are cleaning it after each use (sponge - no abrasives) and sanitizing properly it should last for quite some time. I have retired one that did eventually get some funk but it was after about 25 batches fermented in it and even then it was likely something I did or didn't do at the end of a long brew night that spoiled it.

You're all good. typical paranoia! I'm suffering a little now after 40+ batches. A stout is carbonated too fast so I'm concerned. Now it's a waiting game to see what happens in the next two weeks.

So you see - normal.

Back