Banana Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
Years ago I had an amazingly good banana beer. It was an import that my distributor had for sampling. It was sour, kind of like a lambic, but with this great banana flavor, much more then esters. It had bananas added in the recipe at some point, somehow.

It was golden and I don't remember any hop character, although it must of had enough to balance things, because it was only a bit sweet. That could have been the sour/tart countering the sweet however.

Anyway, anybody ever seen a banana beer recipe or taste an example? I don't know if it is really something I want to invest a huge amount of time on, but it is a beer I remember and enjoyed.

:ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:

I had to add some dancing bananas.

Interesting. While I have never seen or heard of a "Banana Beer" I did sort of make one accidentally.
My German Wheat fermented a few degrees to high and the Banana (phenol?) flavors are very prominant.
Even my kids think it smells like Banana.

"Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers : The Secrets of Ancient Fermentation" has a banana beer recipe. For me, banana beer is like pumpkin beer, haven't found one I like yet.

No bananas but Wyeast 3068 throws big banana... especially at higher ferment temps. I have a Hefe fermenting now and I basically had banana whipped (beer) cream coming out the blowoff tube.

Don't they drink the $hit out of this stuff in Rwanda? Seriously . . . !

That book by Elmore Leonard - Pagan Babies - has the characters getting lit on that stuff throughout the novel.

I would love to try some. I've never even seen it in good liquor stores.

Why not make some banana puree and throw it in the secondary? Its worth a try. I do know that its hard to extract banana juice and flavors, I learned that from my Juicemann 2000.

Back