advice on dry hopping.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatHead

Reaction score
First time dry hopping and a question about keeping as much as possible out of final product. I am using an ounce of Centenial and half ounce Chinook but only have pellet hops because it seems only shops that specialize in hops have leaf hops. I have a small hop bag and my big grain bag. Should I double bag the hops in bucket. Or use one in bucket and one on end of transfer hose at bottling and if this is best should I use big or small in bucket. Or should I just dump them in bucket and use one of the bags to strain at bottling?

I either just toss them into the primary or racking into the secondary 7 days before bottling. I only have used pellets and never used a bag. Either way works fine for me. The only reason I go the the secondary, is to free up my favorite carboy, and not for the purpose of dry hopping.

Dump them in and get some knee-hi nylons. Strain the beer through the nylon while bottling. Much finer mesh.

You can even use the knee-his as hop bags, just don't pack them full.

I would just toss them in without the bag. They settle to the bottom over time. I always just dump them in and do not get any in my bottles or kegs. I have also heard of people putting the hop bag over the siphon while transferring to the bottling bucket to filter them out.

Back