any problem with delayed fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waynepresley

Reaction score
My last couple of batches have taken a while to start fermenting (over 60 hours). I sprinkle US-05 right on top and my beer is turning out great!
I keep my fermenter in a water bath and keep the temp around 58. I know that delayed fermentation can increase the risk of infection but i sanitize everything well so i'm not too worried about that.
I heard that it is preferable for fermentation to start as soon as possible, so my question is: what are the reasons for this? is it just an infection concern or are there other reasons?
Like I said, my beer is coming out very nice so i'm not worried about it, just curious...

I would suggest starting fermentation a little warmer and once it's begun then bringing the water bath down. I like to start between 65-70 for most ale yeasts, and reduce once it gets going. Colder temperatures means slower work - i.e. longer lag phase.

Edit: Quick fermentation starts mean less chance of other bugs having much effect on your beer.

I would suggest starting fermentation a little warmer and once it's begun then bringing the water bath down. I like to start between 65-70 for most ale yeasts, and reduce once it gets going. Colder temperatures means slower work - i.e. longer lag phase.

Edit: Quick fermentation starts mean less chance of other bugs having much effect on your beer.

yeah, although I kinda like the control of pitching low and letting it warm up a bit. On my first batch i had trouble lowering the temp of it once it started fermenting but that was when the weather was a little warmer too.

Back