Possible Shocktop/Blue Moon Extract Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vidarien

Reaction score
I know theres a lot of people on here who focus more or less on extract brewing, and have been hunting around for a blue moon clone for a long time. What i've noticed in most of the attempts though, is that the end product is more or less a Hoegaarden twin, and while many will say that it tastes better anyway, the whole point of asking for a ST/BM clone is to actually get a clone of that beer.

So anyways, i've been researching around for quite a while, reading up on others ideas, reading into their experimentation, what worked what didn't etc, and i've developed an extract recipe (That I havent tested yet!) that I wanted to discuss.

Without further ado, heres what i've come up with -

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Shocktop Clone
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.70 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 6.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.0 oz Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 6.7 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.7 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.7 %
3 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 4 40.0 %
3 lbs Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 5 40.0 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil Hop 6 16.1 IBUs
2.00 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 7 -
0.38 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 8 -
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 9 -

Basically, this recipe falls roughly under the style of an american wheat as opposed to belgian, because BM/ST are not true belgian wits...despite what the bottle suggests.

Of particular note, no WLP400 is used here, the orange peels are valencia (sweet) as opposed to bitter, no late hop additions, and some flaked oats are used in addition to carafoam to enhance the mouthfeel. The reasoning behind the crystal 10L is to give it just a hint of residual sweetness beyond the wheat malt backbone (wheat/extra light DME ratio is based on post research ive done as to the true 2-row to wheat ratio from sources in the know on the real recipes). All of this information is thanks to other sources, I just attempted to put it together in an effective way for extract brewing, which i havent seen done yet for this type of true clone.

So, anyways, thoughts?

Did you make this yet? How did it turn out? My wife likes Blue Moon, so I'd like to try and make her one.

hi,

I brewed an extract version of a blue moon clone that looks very similar to yours last night. I based it on this www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/blue-moon-clone-65328/index44.html which I imagine is where you got some of your info too? anyway, I used similar grains to you, went with .3lb carapils and .5 carahell. I also boiled the oats, 1/2 lb, for only 20 minutes of the boil. same hop schedule and extract as you.

I think, if the initial taste is anything to go by, the things I would change would bring my recipe closer to yours in terms of the orange peel. I used 1/2oz each of bitter and sweet. not recommended. just got a bit of bitter aftertaste from the bitter peel. the specialty grains were enough, in my opinion, as the oats contribute a lot to mouthfeel and you want to try and let the other flavors come through. expect a hellish amount of trub from the oats. don't worry though, mine has halved overnight. next time I will add more sweet orange peel and no bitter. I'll also consider straining the wort through a grain bag on its way into the fermenter. hell, I may even throw some sweet peel and coriander into the fermenter this time, once active fermentation has stopped. I boiled the spices for 10 mins. next time 5, or flameout.

so anyway, your recipe looks good to me, go ahead and brew it up! I'm also keen to get this one right, and there seems to be a limited amount of info on extract versions, so please report back once you're done.

Back