Mash Tun Thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobolstinks

Reaction score
I use a coleman extreme 52 qt for my mash tun, and I don't know if shutting the lid on my thermometer probe is a good idea...... How do must people leave their thermometer in the mash tun, do you cut a hole in the wall of your mash to stick your thermometer through?

Thanks,
Chris

How much temp do you lose over the course of your rest?

My cooler loses 1 degree over 60 minutes, so I stopped bothering with monitoring the temp during the mash, and its just the cheapy no name cooler from menards, not the extreme.

i usually lose 1 to 2 degrees depending on how often i stir the mash. I guess it would be best to check it once at the end. Just kinda anal about my brewing.

I use a digital meat thermometer probe. It has a long cord and I just shut the lid on the cord (it still seals fine). I don't loss any temp after it equilibrates (after about 5 mins of stirring).

I leave it in there most of the time. If the temp. changes then I know that I didn't mix the mash well enough. I take it out to check the temp on my sparge water towards the end of the mash.

^^^^ Me too. I monitor the output from a RIMS tube via thermocouple, but use a digital with probe for the grain bed.

Back