Maris Otter vs. Two Row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
What are the differences between the flavors of Maris Otter vs. two row?

I am seeing more recipes calling for Maris Otter as the base malt. Are the the two grains that unique to impart different flavors.

IMO, it's just a richer, slightly maltier flavor. Some describe it as biscuity. It's a good base malt. I've used it by itself as well as mixing it 1/2 with 2-row.

I'm DEFINITELY NOT an expert, but I believe the Maris Otter is the base grain used for a lot of English brews. Gives a biscuity/ bready flavor? Little more expensive too. I'm sure somebody else can give you a better answer. Hope this helps.

English = MO, American = 2-row is the over-simplified solution. It really depends on the style of beer, go for the natural/indigenous ingredients for beer as these are what the styles/recipes were based on.

According to my Midwest catalog, its a popular base malt for pale ales, bitters, porters, IPA's, stouts, barleywines, and Scottish ales. Excellent yields, efficient runoffs.

I really enjoy Rogue Dead Guy - I wonder if M.O. would improve the flavor if used instead of plain-Jane 2-row.

What are the differences between the flavors of Maris Otter vs. two row?

I am seeing more recipes calling for Maris Otter as the base malt. Are the the two grains that unique to impart different flavors.

Wiki Article: Maris Otter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Me loves MO. Makes English style beers taste, well...English.

To be a bit more serious. Maris Otter will be a bit maltier and has adds a bisquit like flavor. If you are adding a bunch of things like crystal 40/60, it won't matter (just use the 2-row). But if you want a beer where it's not just hops (e.g. an English Style IPA or and ESB), MO is awesome for it.

If you want to try an American Pale Ale made with MO, try Mirror Pond.

Back