I like my mistake!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akd200

Reaction score
I brewed a malt extract Sierra Nevada IPA clone, but was not paying attention to the size of my carboy and used a six gallon one which diluted my recipe when I topped it off. I realized my mistake when I put it in the secondary and it would not fit (5 gal). I ended up calling it LIGHT. Are there any recipes for what I ended up with?

I made the exact same thing when I tried to clone SNPA and over sparged and missed my O.G. by ~5 points. I called it a light pale ale. It's great and everyone loves it.

As for recipes, your brew probably still falls within the catagory of American Pale Ale. It's just not an exact clone of SNPA.

Sounds like you ended up with a pale ale or an Americanized Ordinary Bitter depending on how much you actually diluted it.

I used the same kit and did the opposite; increased the DME by a pound and doubled the hops.... threw in some grapefruit zest in the secondary to boot! OG was 1.050, FG 1.006, and damn, it is wonderful, but no, not a SNPA clone anymore, more like an IPA. So what?

Dude, YOU MADE BEER! Drink up!

Last year I was really drunk one evening and tried to make a spur of the moment pale ale. I ended up completely miscalculating my alpha acid contributions and turned it into an IPA at the last minute. It turned out so well I have made that recipe three more times now and my friends are always asking about it.

I used the same kit and did the opposite; increased the DME by a pound and doubled the hops.... threw in some grapefruit zest in the secondary to boot! OG was 1.050, FG 1.006, and damn, it is wonderful, but no, not a SNPA clone anymore, more like an IPA. So what?

Dude, YOU MADE BEER! Drink up!

I "helped" AKD200 with the boil and helped drink it (so did a number of others). Dave may have a little left, but not much.

Back