Bottling Gin and tonics - Questions on process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ross_daly

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm looking to bottle up 12 or 24 G&Ts for easy drinking this summer. I have a few questions.

Trying to start off easy...
Will pouring tonic in and topping off with gin end up with undercarbed Bottles? This would certainly be the easiest plan.

Going one step more complicated...
I have thought about using a soda cap with a tubing nipple on it to let the soda pressure force itself out of the bottle and into the new bottle. In my mind this would end up with less lost carbonation, due to the lack of pouring. Has anyone tried this?

Finally, doing it the right/Complicated way
If I were to pour all of the tonic and gin into a 3G corny, chill and then force carb how difficult would it be to use the biermuncher beer gun to get it into bottles?

I am assuming that all of the usual beer keg->bottle ideas apply. Chill the bottles as much as possible, chill the mix as low as possible, fill and then cap (don't go in batches.) Is there anything else I should be thinking about?

Other than novelty, what's the point? It's not hard to our a drink, and you need too serve it on ice anyway.

Other than novelty, what's the point?
That's not enough?

A friend of mine made jynnan tonnyx jello shots: Slices of lime filled with crystal clear jello, and a sprinkling of some popping sugar and citric acid. The degree of novelty was astounding, and they were very popular.

Kind of like the attachment, except clear.

I can see bottles being fun, too, though I expect the novelty would wear off quickly.

img_0939.jpg

I'd just pour some of the tonic water out of the bottle, top off with gin and put the cap back on.

Admittedly it is more for novelty, but I could also infuse things in it and I think some people would like it as favors/thank you gifts.
It also ought to keep fairly well, and I think it would be interesting to have a few mixed drinks available at a moments notice. I drink mixed drinks infrequently enough that it's a waste of mixers.

You'll save yourself some trouble IMO if you use a concentrated tonic syrup like Tomr's instead of carbonated tonic water. You can just mix that with gin and water and carbonate it just like you were making soda water. Sounds like a fun project, hope it goes well!

Latest posts

Back