Transporting kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robodeath

Reaction score
I am going to be moving two kegs to a wedding. They will already be done and carbd at the time I move them. Should I release the pressure in the keg before moving them or leave them pressurized?

Do you release the pressure in bottles or cans before moving them? What are the beers your moving. If you want them clear they won't be unless you filtered! !
Edit: I can tell you how to have clear beer without filtering.. :mug:

If you are moving them and serving then get some tubs at Lowes or something and fill them with ice. Move the kegs a few hours before serving them and pour off the first pint because residue will get stirred up(at least I heard somewhere it is a good idea to do another pour off but I never have). Or you could do what I do and for 30-50 bucks set up s filtering set up using a one micron filter. It makes wonderfully clear beer and almost 0 residue in the bottom of the keg.

Another easy way to prevent the sediment getting stirred up is to transfer the beer off of the sediment into clean kegs before you move them.

I know this is an old thread, but my problem is I brought a keg to our fantasy football draft, and it was nothing but foam. I left pressure on the keg when driving it over, and tried with pressure(12-14 psi) and turning it down to around 5 psi and purging the keg. Nothing seemed to work. Any tips or secrets I haven't heard? I would really like to bring one to the Superbowl party and don't want to bottle 2 cases. Kegging has made me lazy.

iasteeler said:
I know this is an old thread, but my problem is I brought a keg to our fantasy football draft, and it was nothing but foam. I left pressure on the keg when driving it over, and tried with pressure(12-14 psi) and turning it down to around 5 psi and purging the keg. Nothing seemed to work. Any tips or secrets I haven't heard? I would really like to bring one to the Superbowl party and don't want to bottle 2 cases. Kegging has made me lazy.

Any time you jostle a keg around you'll need to let it settle for an hour or two before pouring. The longer the better. You should also disconnect the gas line before moving it. If the beer temp increases during the trip, and you're still applying serving pressure, you could increase the carbonation level. With the gas disconnected, the headspace pressure will change as the temp changes, but the carbonation will stay the same.

And like what was said above, don't let the pressure out. Pressure is what keeps the lid snug. If you take the pressure off, you could spring a leak if the kegs tip over while in transport.

this is what i do and was going to suggest if the op ever replied! :mug:

+1 to this.

I take an empty keg and put about 15lbs on it and let it sit for a few hours. My theory is that the CO2 will settle to the bottom and then when I purge it will push all the O2 out the top. I don't know if this theory has merit but it makes me feel better at least. Then I will purge the keg a couple times at 5PSI just to be sure, and transfer the beer to the new keg. I watch the line carefully and as soon as the lines change color or start to foam I stop the transfer. Then I pressurize the new keg and I'm good to go. I've had nothing but good results with this method. I'm usually taking a keg to a party when I do this so there is little risk of the beer lasting through the night, so I probably wouldn't have to be so paranoid about oxidation, but I am anal that way. I let it sit for two hours in a bucket of Ice to calm down and it's good to go

That theory has no merit. Gas molecules are in constant motion and thus will diffuse rather rapidly. So you'll have reduced the O2 content of the mix by introducing CO2, but it will be homogeneous in short order.

That's A Good Thing, as the alternative would have snuffed all life out on the planet long ago...

Cheers!

That theory has no merit. Gas molecules are in constant motion and thus will diffuse rather rapidly. So you'll have reduced the O2 content of the mix by introducing CO2, but it will be homogeneous in short order.

That's A Good Thing, as the alternative would have snuffed all life out on the planet long ago...

Cheers!

If that's true then the 'protective layer of CO2' theory doesn't hold either does it? Any time you displaced any of the CO2 in your fermentor, say with a wine thief, the oxygen that is introduced is going to mix with the CO2 and not just lay on top of it?

If that's true then the 'protective layer of CO2' theory doesn't hold either does it? Any time you displaced any of the CO2 in your fermentor, say with a wine thief, the oxygen that is introduced is going to mix with the CO2 and not just lay on top of it?

I forgot to include a point. While I agree that gases normally mix very quickly in an open environment this is because there are convection and other types of currents that promote this mixing more than normal. I'm really interested to see what research has been done on closed systems like a keg or a fermentor. So far I found this study on caves, and according to this gentlemen caves only have high levels of CO2 in low levels because that is where the CO2 is actually created, and it takes a while to disperse. I will create a new thread for this discussion since this is obviously way off topic. I will edit this thread with a link to the new one. I hope we can get a good discussion going.

Here is the thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/s...ents-like-fermentors-kegs-431015/#post5494683

Thanks day_trippr for starting me down that path. I love learning new things!

Back