First time milling grains myself (Critique please)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhelanKA7

Relax? RELAX?!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can you guys tell me how this crush looks? I'm not seeing any whole grains but a lot of husks, which i assume is good... What do you guys think of this gap setting?

20130118_123430_zpsdc423ac8.jpg

20130118_123420.jpg

BIAB guys seem to like a finer, floury crush, but that looks perfect to me. No whole grains. Lots of intact husks. You'll have a great filter bed if you're using a false bottom or braid!

Looks good to my untrained eye. Are you BIAB? Fly or batch sparge? For my batch sparge setup I crush a little finer- my chunks are about 2/3 the size of yours, but I do get near-stuck sparges. What's your mill? Kyle

Looks good to my untrained eye. Are you BIAB? Fly or batch sparge? For my batch sparge setup I crush a little finer- my chunks are about 2/3 the size of yours, but I do get near-stuck sparges. What's your mill? Kyle

It's a MaltMill.

I batch sparge so we'll see what kind of efficiency I get. I have the gap set to about .040in. I've heard people go for .020-.035 but that seemed a little tight to me, especially considering I tend to mash a lot of wheat.

A recent 3 gallon batch was 3.5 lbs 2-row, 3.5 white wheat and 1.3 flaked wheat. On a fine crush (.030-.035?) I didn't get stuck with a batch sparge and ended up at about 83% efficiency. What's the saying, go until you're scared?
Anyway, your current crush looks just fine. Kyle

Back