IBU calculations in BeerSmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
Can someone explain why, when using BeerSmith, the IBUs listed in the "Ingredients" panel don't match up with the estimated IBUs in the "Beer Profile" panel? Are they calculated differently? Do they represent different things?

I saw this with all due respect!

Huh?!?!

Could you do a screen shot, or attach a BMS file, so we can "see" what you're talking about?

Yeah, I thought I should do that - give me a minute or two....

This should help. Only the 60 minute addition is contributing to the bitterness in this brew, but the two numbers are different

beersmith_IBUs.jpg

That IS weird! Can you attach the BSM file, so I can open it and play with it?

Just go into the beersmith program, and highlight that recipe. Click "file" and then export and give it a name, then attach it here.

J-
Do you have any more hop additions if you slide the bar down? Obviously the 48.1 is what you are getting out of the Northdowns, but I am confused.......nevermind, I see that you have 3 ozs of hops and I can see all 3.....hummmmmm

J-
Do you have any more hop additions if you slide the bar down? Obviously the 48.1 is what you are getting out of the Northdowns, but I am confused.......nevermind, I see that you have 3 ozs of hops and I can see all 3.....hummmmmm

The one thing I noticed is that if I change my boil volume I change both values - and if I get my boil volume up to 6 gallons, both match (63.4). I understand that boil volume/wort gravity affects hop utilization, so I understand why the numbers would change, but I'm still not sure why both don't always match

The one thing I noticed is that if I change my boil volume I change both values - and if I get my boil volume up to 6 gallons, both match (63.4). I understand that boil volume/wort gravity affects hop utilization, so I understand why the numbers would change, but I'm still not sure why both don't always match

That's a good question. My guess is you have decreased utilization from the hops in a partial boil, but that means that you would have the same (lower) number in both places.

That would be a good question for Brad Smith, the author of the software. I'd send him a note and ask.

That IS weird! Can you attach the BSM file, so I can open it and play with it?

Just go into the beersmith program, and highlight that recipe. Click "file" and then export and give it a name, then attach it here.

I just tried, but got a message telling me the file size was too big for this forum.

I guess I'll mess around with the software/recipe a bit more and see if I can figure out some sort of pattern.

The thought I had was that you had a check mark on "add extract at ____ minutes" which would change the hops utilization.

Somehow I missed this suggestion earlier (I missed your file upload one too - are you inserting posts in stealth mode?). This actually solved the mystery - I have the extract as a late (15 min) addition. This affects the final IBUs, but not the ones listed in the recipe. If I don't add the extract late in the boil, the numbers match (at the lower value of course). I wonder if this was done on purpose or is an oversight. Anyways, I'm glad to know now - it was really really bugging me :)

Back