Rising fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexavery

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch yesterday. The airlock is bubbling like crazy. I noticed that the temperature of the primary (using one of those liquid crystal stick-on thermometers) has risen from 68 degrees to 75 degrees.

From what I've read, it's normal for that to happen. My question is - will the temp go back down soon, or do I need to think about relocating the primary to a cooler spot in my house, like the basement?

Wouldn't be a bad idea to cool it off. It will cool down when fermentation slows, but that's too late.

That happens, since fermentation is exothermic (produces heat). It may get even hotter before it lowers when fermentation tapers off.

Many of us keep our fermenter in a cooler spot, like a basement.

What I do is make a water bath in a big cooler, and that helps keep the temperature more stable. Even at room temperature, it takes a LONG time for the fermentation temperature to raise enough to heat up the water bath, which in turn keeps it from getting so warm. If it does creep up above 70, I drop a frozen water bottle into the water bath to cool it down gradually.

It is normal for it to go up during fermentation and it will go down as fermentation slow down. The only time you should be concerned about it going into the mid 70s is during peak fermentation though. You should move it to a cooler part of your house soon as your yeast are making fruity flavors that are not to style in a nut brown ale.

Back