Another DIY False Bottom Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis_W

Reaction score
I'm in the mitts of building a single tier brew stand. 3 kegs, 3 burners, and 1 pump. I have the tops cut off my kegs and I'm in the middle of drilling holes for the outlet valves.

I'm looking for a good cheap diy option for a false bottom. I found in my kitchen a collapsible vegetable steamer. Will this work? I will be using a dip tube with it from bargain fittings.

STAINLESS STEEL COLLAPSIBLE VEGETABLE STEAMER.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never made one, I just bought two 12" SS tube for 8usd per. Maybe someone else can help better than me. Good luck with the project. Cheers

If you have kegs why don't make FB from top?
This is my version:

p1050217a.jpg

p1060218n.jpg

p3160294k.jpg

nice! What did you use to make the cuts? What size cutting wheel? And what did you use for the center to fit around the dip tube?

that looks like a heavy duty braid. Never get a stuck mash? Do you have a link for it or any buying information?

that looks like a heavy duty braid. Never get a stuck mash? Do you have a link for it or any buying information?

I found a bunch in a scrap yard that was on heavy duty electrical cord so I pulled off as much as I could, it's about 1.125" diameter. I've been making them custom for people locally and everyone loves them because they don't dent or crush and it is course enough you don't get stuck sparges.

nice! What did you use to make the cuts? What size cutting wheel? And what did you use for the center to fit around the dip tube?

I used angle grinder with 0.04" (1mm) wheel.
Dip tube is centered in keg coupler with copper reducer:

p3160277.jpg

This is how it looks from bottom:

p3160291.jpg

My mill gap is 0.034" and I don't have any problems with circulation on HERMS. Maybe I"ll try to tighten it more just to see how far it can go.

Back