Rogue Chipolte Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
Has anybody ever tried Rogue Chipolte Ale?

I stopped by my local liquor store today and bought two beers for my evening: a Rogue Chiplote Ale, and a Rogue Juniper Pale Ale.

I just finished off the Chipolte. I've got to say that I was afraid of it at first, so much that I almost didn't buy it. I thought it would be too hot for me to handle. It was the opposite really. I could barely even taste a hint of pepper in it. Now when it comes to spicy food I'm just a big ol' *****. Taco Bell mild sauce burns my mouth off! But this beer didn't have hardly any heat to it.

I kind of feel a sore throat coming on, so I'm trying to tell myself that that's why I didn't taste the heat and that it is actually a spicy beer.

But over all it was a good beer. I enjoyed it, just wished it was a little hotter.

What are your thoughts on this beer?

Can anybody recommend a spicier beer that is commercially available?

I guess I'm gonna have to brew my own now:D

p.s. I haven't tasted the Juniper yet. Anybody tried that one?:D

Juniper is a common addition in Sahti beers. Sahti is a Scandinavian(?) style which uses juniper. Imagine a British Pale Ale with an intense gin-like aroma (the spiciness, not the alcohol aroma) and you kind of get an idea what the beer is about.

I have liked the sahtis I've had....

I tried the Rogue Chipotle recently and found it similar to your experience -- just barely a hint of pepper. It was nice, but I was expecting more. And maybe my palate isn't as sophisticated, but I couldn't tell that it was a chipotle -- it could have just been any hot pepper, I didn't pick up the smokiness that is characteristic of a chipotle.

I've never really had a pepper beer before so I'm not sure if this is the way it should be. It wasn't bad, a small pepper hint at the end ... I was just expecting more.

I have had it a few times and it has been vastly different in pepper/heat flavor each time. The last bottle was a 12 oz'r a couple weeks ago and it had almost zero pepper flavor.

I like the Juniper Pale Ale it is definatley another really solid Rogue brew, I haven't had the Chipolte Ale yet I plan on trying it if I can find it, I'm not so sure about a spicy beer, even though I love spicy food.

I haven't had it in a long time & then it was on tap, not a bottle. It was way over done. So, it sounds like it varies. Calapoola, in Albany, makes a real smoker, but it will be a while before they got national.

Back