Fermenting on concrete basement floor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundaybrewingco

Reaction score
I am just wondering if leaving a 6.5 glass carboy on my concrete basement floor will affect the fermentation times? I thought I read somewhere that it might cause the overall temperature to be colder and possibly slow down the yeast reaction.

Thanks

Depends on what your slab temp is and it also depends on what strain of yeast you are using. Some yeast like it cooler, some warmer.

I usually ferment American styles on the slab in the basement. Ambient around 65° to get fewer esters and ramp up close to 70° at the end of fermentation. Works really well.

In the carboy I have a 5 gallon batch of Belgian Dubbel, using Trappist Yeast by Wyeast. When I checked this morning (about 30 hours in the carboy), I did not see any signs of fermentation taking place. The temperature was around 66-68 degrees. Do you think I should take it off the cement or leave it and see if I get any action from the yeast?

That temp looks fine, if you used Wyest 3787. Is the ambient temp 66-68, or is that the temp of your wort? If ambient temp is 66-68 the floor should be very close to that. The cement slab will be your most stable temp.

How about a little more info on your yeast? Did you make a starter? Was was your OG?

You need a temp from that carboy. Get a strip thermometer or tape and insulate a probe thermometer to it. Fermentation is an exothermic activity, so the temperature inside the carboy should increase a few degrees once fermentation starts. Given it has the proper conditions to start.

That temp looks fine, if you used Wyest 3787. Is the ambient temp 66-68, or is that the temp of your wort? If ambient temp is 66-68 the floor should be very close to that. The cement slab will be your most stable temp.

How about a little more info on your yeast? Did you make a starter? Was was your OG?

The 66-68 was from the thermometer on the carboy (one of those sticker thermometers) For the yeast, I did not make a starter. Sorry, I am still fairly new to the brewing process. It was the Trappist Ale - Liquid Yeast from Wylabs or Wyeast. I also did not take a OG reading. I poured the wort into the carboy and forgot to take a reading. I plan on picking up a wine thief this week for this purpose..

You need a temp from that carboy. Get a strip thermometer or tape and insulate a probe thermometer to it. Fermentation is an exothermic activity, so the temperature inside the carboy should increase a few degrees once fermentation starts. Given it has the proper conditions to start.

The temp from the carboy was around 66-68 degrees this morning. I'm worried the temp will fluctuate throughout the day (daily weather). The basement usually stays around 65-70 degrees, but I'm just wondering if the cement floor will make the temps change more drastically..

The lack of starter may be the reason for the delayed fermentation. Without an OG, it is hard to tell for sure. But don't fret, be patient, it should kick off here shortly.

The cement floor will not make it change more drastically, quite the opposite. It is the regulator of your temperature and least likely to fluctuate. Thats a big mass to change too drastically throughout the day.

Thanks for the info MNBugeater. I am not too concerned as of yet (probably because I am at work). I just heard that this type of beer would have a vigorous fermentation, so I expected something in a day and a half, but no such luck. I'm sure when I get home today there will be something going on, or at least I hope so.

like the bugeater says, be patient. Lower temps usually just mean slower fermentation. If you find the temps are still to low, you can elevate the carboy, wrap it in a blanket, or even create a warm water bath with an aquarium heater and a storage tote.

I just brewed my 4th batch since Feb. Before then it had been over 10 years since I had brewed. The batch I made in Feb took 2 days (Monday afternoon until Wednesday afternoon) going by my notes. I used Wyeast 1056 (American Ale). Didn't do a starter either. My basement floor is cool and the wort stayed right around 60 degrees. I also had it in a corner which I'm sure kept it cooler. Next batch same deal took 2 days, no starter. That first batch drove me nuts, but the second one I expected it. It will drive you nuts thinking about it though.

My beers were lower gravity than yours, so maybe it's apples and oranges. Similar experience though.

I just checked on it yesterday after work, and it looks like the krausen is starting to form, and its blowing out some bubbles through the blow-off tube, so it looks like fermentation is just starting to begin now. It took roughly 30-40 hours before I seen any activity. The temperature last night was about 64-66 degrees on the cement floor, so everything looks good.

I was heard to raise (warm) the temperature of the carboy after a week of fermentation to produce some of the banana like flavors... Has anyone done this before for a Belgian Dubbel? Also, what would be the easiest (cheapest) method of doing so?

Can actually be good to stress the yeast out at first by under pitching in a Belgian. It will make some flavors but I won't say off because Belgian beers are knowin for their different than "normal" flavors.

The slab will lower the temperature of your wort, it really pulls some heat from the carboy. In my basement my ambient is a couple to many degrees warmer than ambient depending on the time of year (bigger difference in summer).

I use a FermWrap and Johnson Controller to raise the temp of my carboy and hold it to within a degree. The cheapest method I think would be to use an aquarium heater in a tub of water with your carboy sitting in it.

I just posted a pic of my incubator. Check the gallery. Aquarium heater is about 15 bucks
I'm glad to hear your little friends are up and respirating.

Here is my ongoing dilemma with the carboy...

Yesterday it got to about 72 degrees in Philadelphia before dropping at night.. So when I got home from work, the carboy temp was about 68-70 degrees, which is fine. However, this weekend, it is going to get up to 80+ degrees. I feel if it gets that high, the carboy temp may exceed 75 degrees.

Now, after asking what is the best way to raise the temperature... how about keeping the carboy cool? I have a carboy in another room that is staying around 64-66 degrees. I am assuming I should not move the carboy while it is fermenting. Thanks for all your help!

You can move it while it's fermenting, no big deal...search for swamp cooler if you can't keep it in a cool place.

You can move it while it's fermenting, no big deal...search for swamp cooler if you can't keep it in a cool place.

I thought it was not a good idea to move the carboy / fermenter during primary fermentation? Wouldn't moving it disturb the krausen? and produce "off" flavors? I might not be 100% on that statement though. It's just that I really want this batch to come out well, but the warm weather coming this weekend may/may not cause problems.

Does anyone think by leaving it as is, and letting the warm temperature boost the carboy temperature up is a good thing? I read it's desirable to increase the temp after a week or so for Dubbels? Any thoughts?

Disturbing the krausen shouldn't effect your beer. After fermentation slows down the krausen will fall into the beer anyway. The krausen is made up of the same stuff that is in your beer and the trub. You should have no problems, I move my primaries during fermentation and don't have any.

If you're in the basement still you should be fine. Especially if it's in the water bath. You'll have enough mass with 10+ gallons of H20 and beer to carry you thru these warm days. Remember, that slab isn't gonna heat up up just b/c of a few days of warm weather. I think heating your fermenter is gonna be your M/O well into July. When the time comes, have some frozen 20oz. water bottles ready.

Back