a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmee

Reaction score
I have been reading that prior to pitching I should be adding oxygen to help the yeast. Now, I am a fireman and have access to all the oxygen those little buggers can suck down but it is a pain to get all of it (capt gets a bit twitchy), can I add it with just an air compressor or does it need to be stright o2?

all i use is a large cooking whisk, sanitized of course, and stir the wort vigoriously before pitching. in the 5 batches so far it has worked great

I use straight 02 from 5# tanks through a 0.5-micron stone. You can go as far as using a fish tank pump but it just takes longer. Or like Punn, if you're feeling real energetic, beat the hell out of your wort. Its all good as long as you're giving your yeasties some food.

Wild

I use a spoon and just stir the yeasties up after they've soaked on top of the wort for about 2 minutes. Done it this way for years and works like a charm.

I make a starter...Then just before I pour it into the wort, I use a food whisk to aerate the wort. Works great.

I wouldn't use an air compressor unless it's a compressor specfically for breathing air. Regular air compressors put out some pretty nasty air, it can have lubricant particles and other "stuff" in it. Stick with straight O2 or some kind of aquarium pump with an air filter on it along with some kind of diffuser. Personally, I use the small Bernzomatic type O2 welding tanks which work fine.

Prosit!

Latest posts

Back