Fermentation Is Slowing Down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMonkster

Reaction score
I did my first batch on the 15th, fermentation was going crazy by the next day. Checked today & it's really slowed down. I know that you don't have to do the carboy thing, but I wanna start another batch. Should I give it at least 5 days until I change it to the carboy? Once it's in the carboy, how long should it stay in it? Can I hop it more? What kind of hops can I use to do that? I like hoppy beer!!! Lol!!! Oh yeah, I used Brewers Best I.P.A. kit & used some chocolate malt. Sorry for all the newbie questions!!

Get a primary fermentation bucket for $10!

Give this one at least a week before secondary. Dry hop in there, try 1oz. of Citra for an American style IPA.

It has only been three days..

Step away from the fermenter and let the yeast do. its job.

The Brewers Best kits have terrible instruction after fermentation starts. You would be better off. just leaving it in the primary. for 3 weeks. Pick up another bucket to start the next batch in. You can rack it to the carboy but waituntil the gravity is down near where it is supposed to be.

Ok, I'll let it alone!!! Lol!!! When should I at least take a gravity reading? Instructions aren't that clear to me, that's why I joined to get knowledge from brews!! I can do the waiting thing, just don't wanna mess my first batch up!!! Thanks for all advice & help!!!

You can take as many gravities as you want. Leave it in the primary for 2 1/2 weeks and take a gravity. At the 3 week mark take another if there's been no change it's done fermenting (and it should/will be).

Looks like the FG for your recipe is 1.014-1.017.

+1 on the buying another bucket to start another batch, you want 2-3 weeks primary fermentation. If you move it now chances are that your beer is still fermenting. I enjoyed taking a hydrometer testing at one week to see how quickly the yeast attenuated and to get an early sample on the beer, although it won't taste like that when done. Then at 2 1/2 and again at 3

Gonna wait til Tuesday to take a gravity reading, that will be a week. Don't really have the money to get a bucket right now, that's why I was asking about when I can transfer to a carboy. I know you don't have to. I plan on leaving my 2nd batch in the bucket the whole time. How close should it be to the FG before I transfer to the carboy? Once I get it in the carboy, I plan on leaving it in 2-3 weeks. Would like to dry hop, a member said to put the hops in when I transfer. Thanks for any & all help!!!

Gonna wait til Tuesday to take a gravity reading, that will be a week. Don't really have the money to get a bucket right now, that's why I was asking about when I can transfer to a carboy. I know you don't have to. I plan on leaving my 2nd batch in the bucket the whole time. How close should it be to the FG before I transfer to the carboy? Once I get it in the carboy, I plan on leaving it in 2-3 weeks. Would like to dry hop, a member said to put the hops in when I transfer. Thanks for any & all help!!!

If you can't afford a bucket (about $15 with the grommet and airlock) how can you afford to brew? Check your priorities.

Your beer should be at FG before you transfer. That big yeast cake at the bottom of your fermenter does things to your beer that sometimes don't happen in the secondary.

If you dry hop you may want to wait a bit before adding them. Some people have had a vegetal flavor show up from the hops being in the beer too long. I'd suggest somewhere between 3 days to a week before you plan to bottle or keg the beer.

RM-MN said:
If you can't afford a bucket (about $15 with the grommet and airlock) how can you afford to brew? Check your priorities.

Your beer should be at FG before you transfer. That big yeast cake at the bottom of your fermenter does things to your beer that sometimes don't happen in the secondary.

If you dry hop you may want to wait a bit before adding them. Some people have had a vegetal flavor show up from the hops being in the beer too long. I'd suggest somewhere between 3 days to a week before you plan to bottle or keg the beer.

I'm on a set income, can't afford another bucket this month, the kit was a present, the I.P.A. Kit was a present & I bought a kit. So, what I was trying to do was start the kit I have now, it's a BB Milk Stout kit. That one I plan to leave in the primary from start to finish. Then next month get another bucket & kit. I was just trying to find out when I should/ can transfer to carboy? Lol!!! I'm figuring 11/2 wk in primary, then 2 wks in carboy or longer. Will that mess my beer up? A lot of good info here, but at times confusing!!! Lol!!!

Jeez. Some people might not be as fortunate as others. Doesn't mean you have to be a dick.

Coupleathree said:
Jeez. Some people might not be as fortunate as others. Doesn't mean you have to be a dick.

I don't let ppl bother me!!! I joined to get good at home brewing!!!!

Anyways, day 5, checked the FG & it's @ 1.018, the recipe reads lower. This is where I get confused, the recipe says transfer to carboy before its done. Do I wait until the FG stays constant for a few days? Thanks for any help & sorry if I'm repeating myself!!

Give it more time. Instructions are just a guide, only the beer dictates when it is ready. Also, make sure you are correcting temps when taking these gravity readings.

What's with that dude? I honestly hate when people check the beginner forum and just can't help but being a complete duche to new brewers for whatever reason. This forum is for helping people and comradeship not duchbagery

benzy4010 said:
What's with that dude? I honestly hate when people check the beginner forum and just can't help but being a complete duche to new brewers for whatever reason. This forum is for helping people and comradeship not duchbagery

Thanks for the kind words!!! But like I said, it doesn't bother me!!!! Guess his priorities are different from mine!!! I knew what I was getting into when I decided to start this hobby!!! My kids & family come first!!!! From me knowing what I can spend & can't spend has worked out for me, I saved enough money to buy a townhouse with cash!!!
Anyways, thank everyone for all the advice so far!!! Guess ill let it sit til Friday!!! I'll take another reading on Wed.

Welcome to the home brew community your gonna love it. It's a lot of fun!

He has a point. Even a super cheap all-grain batch of fairly light beer is going to run $20 for 5 gallons if you're not buying bulk or reusing yeast/growing hops.

He can save money buying paint buckets from home depot and the grommet and drilling his own hole. $6?

gelatin said:
He has a point. Even a super cheap all-grain batch of fairly light beer is going to run $20 for 5 gallons if you're not buying bulk or reusing yeast/growing hops.

He can save money buying paint buckets from home depot and the grommet and drilling his own hole. $6?

I plan on getting another bucket, wanna understand the art of brewing before I start buying more equipment!! Anyways, I'll update on how my IPA is doing on Friday!! Lo,

Back