Samuel Adams Winter Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daholl01

Reaction score
Had this for the first time last night and did not like it at all. I used to like getting some of the Sam Adams variety packs when I was first getting into tasting many different styles of beer. While I do not dislike Sam Adams, I have definitely have less respect for their "craft" brews.

Anyways, the Winter Lager had a pretty sour/malty unpleasant finish to it, has anyone else had it and what did you think?

When I have to get beer at the store, I usually get the Sam Adams. Sure there are better brews in the 6 pack area, that I am tempted to get, I usually walk around the area conteplating a bit, but it is really hard to pass up the $10.99 12pk of Sam's when I need empty bottles, and I have yet to really meet a Sam Adams that I don't like. Sure the Cranberry Lambic might be the 2 last bottles that I drink, but I still like them in their own way. I will always go for a variety pack if they have it. I find it exciting. as for the winter brew, I might not get a twelver of it but in the variety pack I like it.

I feel the same way as hagen does. Hard to pass those up at the price and enjoy the variety. Sam Adams might not be as good as some but it's better than most.

Yeah, I look forward to it each year. I usually find it on tap; I don't think I've ever had it from the bottle. I found this year's (2007) to be good.

I can enjoy a Winter Lager. It's not my favorite, but it's a decent beer. Having said that, it's not good enough for me to fork over $3.99 for a freaking bottle of it like my local Applebee's is asking... that's just plain crazy.

I think Winter Lager is the best beer Sam makes. Most of their beers I enjoy, but won't go crazy over. The Winter Lager on the other hand I can't get enough of.

Count me in as another who really enjoys the Winter Lager. In my case we have a BW3 that has it on tap and Giant Eagle always carry it. I personally like it better out of the bottle than on tap.

Guess it's just a matter of personal taste.

My favorite Sam Adams in general is the Boston Ale.

Sam winter is my favorite Sam seasonal. I look forward to it coming every Oct/Nov and I'm upset when it leaves in Feb. The one that follows, White Ale, is my least favorite Sam Adams beer. other than Cranberry Lambic of course.

I usually pick up a six of the sam seasonal whenever I'm at the store. Everyone that comes over will drink it and usually think its great. Granted these people also offer me Miller Lite, so I guess its all relative.

I found the Winter Lager pretty so-so. I have some Boston Ale in the fridge that I just can't seem to finish off; I found that it's a little too sweet for my tastes.

One that I would like to try, but haven't yet, is Sam's Imperial Pilsner... but what can I say, the guys at Sam's make pretty decent beer when put into perspective. My favorite is the old standby, Boston Lager. The best thing about it is that you can find it anywhere!

Latest posts

Back