Wyeast 1010 American Wheat - Spicy Notes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
Does anyone else get a spicy element, almost pepper-like note, from this yeast?

Aerated well, Pitched @ 57, Fermented @ 58-59 (actual wort not ambient) per my calibrated thermo on my temp controller raising to 65 very slowly starting at the beginning of week 2 till the end of week 2, and proper pitch rate per Mr. malty.

(My guess is that fermenting on the lower side is possibly brining in a peppery phenol similar to what happens when you ferment 3522 Ardennes on the lower side)

It's not the hops either (Sorachi Ace, Cascade) or the malt (2-row, wheat malt, flaked wheat)

I know it throws sulfur at low temps, but I've read nothing about spicy. I started cool on the American Wheat that's in primary now, but I've let it warm up to around 65 or so the last couple days to finish up.

Yeah I could smell it during fermentation. Maybe it is the combo of sulphur and the sorachi hops that created it, I could see that. I thought it was all off gassed with the temp rise but maybe not.

I picked up the note, so did the judges at slurp and burp 2012. If I can pinpoint what to change this wheat I brewed would have got like a 40 because all the other score categories were really high. This was the only flaw really listed.

Back